• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

final final details abt practicals!

Reaction score
No problem!
The information about the apparatus is usually correct but the rest are all people's guesses about the way they can use the apparatus to ask a question!
Just be prepared that something similer will come. The entires procedure is written in question paper. You simply have to follow it. IF for example like in electricity questions, you can't setup the connections correctly, its better to ask the examiner for some help. Around 1-2 mark(s) will be deducted, but its always better to lose a mark rather than do the entire question wrong!
Do go through the past papers for the "limitations/sources of errors and their imrovements" That will gain you 8 marks pakka!!
Leave the rest to Allah! Best of Luck!

Reaction score
The electricity question will be the big question. You will have to setup a circuit with a power supply, ammeter, voltmeter, semi-conductor diode, LED/Resistor and dip the diode in cold water or ice cubes. You will need to measure the temperature with a thermometer before starting to take readings. You will need to vary the voltage and take 5 or 6 readings from the ammeter and voltmeter, draw a ta
16:18:58table and plot a graph etc.

For the second question, it will be regarding the terminal velocity of two beads when they are dropped in a cylinder filled with oil. You will need to measure the diameters of the beads with a Micrometer Screw Gauge, so do learn how to use it. Next you will need to drop the beads one by one and note the time it took for the beads to travel a certain distance. You will
need to drop the beads one by one and note the time it took for the beads to travel a certain distance. You will need to measure this distance with a meter rule. Then error and improvements etc.

The schools/centers are not that rich to provide you with a digital one? Why would they teach us how to read off the values from a manual one in O Level and AS Level if they wanted to hand us the digital
16:19:23digital ones?

Thus, I suggest you learn how to use both vernier calipers and micrometer screw gauge and forget about it being a digital one!
16:19:34Just stay focused, try to do the first experiment within one hour, take the 6 readings ASAP so that you can even come back to do the first question after finishing the second small/not so lengthy question. Yes you will be able to come back after you are done with the second question and finish the first one. You just won't have the equipment anymore. So you have 2 hours to do 2 questions, use the
16:19:46use the time wisely!

You can say that Terminal Velocity in this experiment is more like Average Speed. How do you find Average Speed? You divide the Total Distance covered by Total Time taken.
Another thing, you will need to keep the temperature constant, but don't try to take temperature readings more than two times, it's waste of time. Just do it once in the beginning and note it, then in the middle of the experiment read it again. The temperature should rema

Reaction score
hey soo guyz just chill out all u paper 31 phy walay!!! cuz even if u find out wats gonna come tom, now it's too late; u cant perform the experiment with anyone soo just relax!!! take a look at ur previous practicals and just go to bed!!! it's gonna be eazy!!! just keep that in mind!!

BEST OF LUCK TOO ALL!!! hope u all do well!!

Reaction score
princesszahra said:
ok guys
in phy
p33 is abt oil and stopwatch ( u r gonna get messy with paper)
mechanical with diode and most probably dc source
p34 is abt oscillation so stopwatch is involved and there one mechanical with magnet and threads

chem is almost the same but the salts may differ
botht the variabts p33 aND 34 have salt analysis and energetics so thermometer is involved
there is no sign of butrette in the confidential

bio
p33 is abt microscope and visking tubing
and 34 is abt the sucrose ,catalase and microscope
u may be provided with HCl and KMnO4 and distilled water in a beaker!!!
ppl just watch out sometimes they give stopwatch tp confuse u!!!

@ sm1 who asked abt oscillation
oscillation is the kind we do with pendulum bob
we displace it from the original position and find the time period!

@ all ppl
guys u see this
and if u wana post
u make a new topic
cuz ppl cant find this and now as i have too many exams
i cant really pm all
those who pm me i do have to reply them
but ppl if u have stuff here on forums
and all see it

cuz i am not a mod here otherwise i could have locked this topic
see this and ill post more things!

Thanx , but can u pm me and give me more details of wat u think can cum in phy31???????

Reaction score
Princess zahra, m a newbie so i cant't pm u bt plz try to pm me any further details regarding questions of p31.Only if u gt tym of course.no pressure:)

Reaction score
i had a question too,
they say in ms that for eg. 1/t values should be to the same no. of sf as t. So, if the stopwatch records 29.34 and i want my 1/t value to be only to 3 sf to make plotting the graph easier, so do i rite the value of t as 29.3????????
thanx for any help !!!

Reaction score
guys can i get mre details regardng phy p34?? abt apparatus n a liiiiil bit procedural detail?? :)

Reaction score
okay so im getting confused between the physics 31 practical paper tomorrow
i read another forun on the same website where they were talking abt the electrical part being a circuit with a diode immersed in water/ice and blah blah... so i want to knw if thts for p31 or p34??
cuz im giving physics p31 ...also if there are any difficult steps or questions which u knw are going to be there..please share and elaborate on them
please reply ASAP!
thnx :)

Reaction score
19abeera said:
i read another forun on the same website where they were talking abt the electrical part being a circuit with a diode immersed in water/ice and blah blah... so i want to knw if thts for p31 or p34??
cuz im giving physics p31 ...also if there are any difficult steps or questions which u knw are going to be there..please share and elaborate on them
please reply ASAP!
The electricity part is P31, oil drop experiment is P33 and in P34 is about osciallation
Refer to the earlier forums for P34 ;)

Reaction score
Illuminati said:
The electricity question will be the big question. You will have to setup a circuit with a power supply, ammeter, voltmeter, semi-conductor diode, LED/Resistor and dip the diode in cold water or ice cubes. You will need to measure the temperature with a thermometer before starting to take readings. You will need to vary the voltage and take 5 or 6 readings from the ammeter and voltmeter, draw a ta
16:18:58table and plot a graph etc.

For the second question, it will be regarding the terminal velocity of two beads when they are dropped in a cylinder filled with oil. You will need to measure the diameters of the beads with a Micrometer Screw Gauge, so do learn how to use it. Next you will need to drop the beads one by one and note the time it took for the beads to travel a certain distance. You will
need to drop the beads one by one and note the time it took for the beads to travel a certain distance. You will need to measure this distance with a meter rule. Then error and improvements etc.

The schools/centers are not that rich to provide you with a digital one? Why would they teach us how to read off the values from a manual one in O Level and AS Level if they wanted to hand us the digital
16:19:23digital ones?

Thus, I suggest you learn how to use both vernier calipers and micrometer screw gauge and forget about it being a digital one!
16:19:34Just stay focused, try to do the first experiment within one hour, take the 6 readings ASAP so that you can even come back to do the first question after finishing the second small/not so lengthy question. Yes you will be able to come back after you are done with the second question and finish the first one. You just won't have the equipment anymore. So you have 2 hours to do 2 questions, use the
16:19:46use the time wisely!

You can say that Terminal Velocity in this experiment is more like Average Speed. How do you find Average Speed? You divide the Total Distance covered by Total Time taken.
Another thing, you will need to keep the temperature constant, but don't try to take temperature readings more than two times, it's waste of time. Just do it once in the beginning and note it, then in the middle of the experiment read it again. The temperature should rema

hmmm? how do we do the terminal velocity part??

Reaction score
Ok princess are you sure about the phy p31 qns....cuz i think that no on wrote the paper yet :D :D

Reaction score
regarding the p31 electricity question, its resistance we're gonna be measuring? can anyone let me know before 2hrs, coz I'm writing the paper then, and i'll have tonns of info for you by 4pm (+3 GMT)

Any pointers thanks

Reaction score
Uranium-238 said:
19abeera said:
please reply ASAP!
The electricity part is P31, oil drop experiment is P33 and in P34 is about osciallation
Refer to the earlier forums for P34 ;)

The water bath stuff is p31? I don't think the ice stuff is part of it...are you guys sure?