• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
October November 2003 Q7. Do we need to have knowledge of polynomials to solve this mathematical induction question? Please advise.

Reaction score

Please, stop spamming. There are very less Further Mathematics students on this forum. If someone is out there who can help you then he will. Your consistent bugging will not make him come here. I tried to solve your queries, but I haven't been able to properly comprehend F.M Mechanics yet.

Reaction score
Hey Guys can you help me out with Oct/Nov 2004 Paper 1, Question 10. Please and thank you :)
AoA! If you've studied curve sketching in F.Maths, this is quite a typical question.
(i) The equation of the vertical asymptote is found by equating the denominator to 0. Where λ = 0, (x + 4) = 0. Hence, the equation of the vertical asymptote would be x = -4.
To find the horizontal/inclined asymptote, you first convert the 'improper fraction' into a mixed number (by long division).
Thus, y can be expressed as y = (x-2) + 5/(x+4). So in this case, you have an inclined asymptote the equation of which is y = x-2.

(ii) Same technique. For vertical asymptote,
(λx + 1)(x+4) = 0
=> x = -4, x = -1/λ (These are the two horizontal asymptotes).
Irrespective of the value of λ, you get a quotient of 1/λ upon long division. This gives you the equation of the horizontal asymptote, y = 1/λ.

(iii) Now find the equations of the asymptotes here. Finding the intersection points is as easy as it can get. I'm sure that's no problem for you. :)
I hope that's clear.

Reaction score
Hello, would someone be so kind to post here the formulas for the sum of roots of polynomials? All of them which are needed for A-Level Further Maths CIE.
Actually if you want to be even kinder, could you post ALL the formulas needed for all topics of the A-Level exam, please?
I am trying to do a past paper, but with no formula it is almost impossible.

Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hello, would someone be so kind to post here the formulas for the sum of roots of polynomials? All of them which are needed for A-Level Further Maths CIE.
Actually if you want to be even kinder, could you post ALL the formulas needed for all topics of the A-Level exam, please?
I am trying to do a past paper, but with no formula it is almost impossible.

Thank you so much!
AoA!
It is not advisable to jump to solving past papers without reviewing the topics of the syllabus. For that, please consult your books/notes. I haven't been able to find a comprehensive formula booklet for F.Maths so far.

Reaction score
Re: The Further Maths Thread

Thank you, Nibz! :D
Here's the first problem:
If the roots of the equation x^4 - px^3 + qx^2 - pq x + 1 = 0 are α, ß, Γ and delta(D) show that:
( α + ß + Γ) ( α + ß + D) ( α + Γ + D) ( ß + Γ + D) = 1.[/quote
Re: The Further Maths Thread

Oops...;p I guess I had allocated a misleading notation for the sum "α + ß + Γ + D." I should've used the symbol "S(1)" instead of just "S" to represent the sum, to avoid any type of confusion.

So, wherever I wrote "S," I indeed meant S(1). Accordingly, the product "( α + ß + Γ) ( α + ß + D) ( α + Γ + D) ( ß + Γ + D)" in the question lead to the expression "[S(1)]^4 - (∑ α)*[S(1)]^3 + (∑ αß)*[S(1)]^2 - (∑ αßΓ)*S(1) + αßΓD" upon simplification.

Then, from the equation "x^4 - px^3 + qx^2 - pq x + 1 = 0," ∑ α = p = S(1); ∑ αß = q; ∑ αßΓ = pq; αßΓD = 1

Leading to, ( α + ß + Γ) ( α + ß + D) ( α + Γ + D) ( ß + Γ + D) = [p]^4 - (p)*[p]^3 + (q)*[p]^2 - (pq)*p + 1
= p^4 - p^4 + q*p^2 - q*p^2 + 1
= 1

Note that none of S(2), S(3) or S(4) is involved in any of the expressions I wrote.

Hopin' I removed your confusion now....:)

P.S.
To be honest, I don't know of any further maths book covering this "elegant & exceptionally-simple + shortcut" method. However, the past-papers are full of questions on it. Just have a look at some of the questions about polynomials there (along with the corresponding er's/ms's), and you'll master this method very soon....!
erh... not to interrupt but abcd= -1 not +1
therefore the whole thing supposed to be -1
since abcd= -e/a

Reaction score
The product of the roots is given by the formula: (- 1)^n last term/coefficient of highest power, where n is the exponent (highest degree).
Hence, it is (-1)^4 (+1)/1 = +1.
(Normally, the above is a mere mental exercise. See for yourself. :) )

Reaction score
does anybody have further maths mark schemes before 2008 ??? i cannot find them on xtreme papers and I desperately need them.I will be very grateful if somebody will be able to upload it

Reaction score
does anybody have further maths mark schemes before 2008 ??? i cannot find them on xtreme papers and I desperately need them.I will be very grateful if somebody will be able to upload it
They were not published by the CIE. So just use examiner reports to solve the papers before 2008. :)

Reaction score
Find the surface area of revolution generated by complete rotation about the x-axis of the quarter circle in the first quadrant whose equation is x^2 + y^2 = a^2.
Do you get (π^2)a as the answer or 2πa^2 ?

Reaction score
Hi,

Use de Moivre’s theorem to show that
cos 6θ = 32 cos6θ − 48 cos4θ + 18 cos2θ − 1.
===>(shown)

Hence solve the equation
64x^6 − 96x^4 + 36x^2 − 1 = 0,
giving each root in the form cos kπ.
===>not sure what to do there. Waiting for your response.

Reaction score
Hi,

Use de Moivre’s theorem to show that
cos 6θ = 32 cos6θ − 48 cos4θ + 18 cos2θ − 1.
===>(shown)

Hence solve the equation
64x^6 − 96x^4 + 36x^2 − 1 = 0,
giving each root in the form cos kπ.
===>not sure what to do there. Waiting for your response.
Let x = cos θ
To get the required equation, cos 6 θ must be = -1/2
All you need to do is to solve cos 6 θ = -1/2
=> 6 θ = 2pi/3
=> θ = pi/9
The solutions can hence be expressed as x = cos k pi/9, where k = 1,2,4,5,7 and 8 (6 roots obtained by adding 2pi/3 and 2pi to the initial 2pi/3, respectively.)

Reaction score
m too scared abt mechanics i really dont understand much of a things..any advice how can i get prepared till may-june well...
bt P1 and further stats isnt much a problm!!!
can u plz tell me how possibely can i be prepared!!!