• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Heron's formula

Reaction score
How to calculate the area of a triangle using Heron's formula?
I've seen it in the marking schemes and I don't quite get how it works. So I want anyone to elaborate this technique.
Saad Mughal mohdumar

Reaction score
Heron\'s Formula.png
I hope you understand the drawing, I'm kinda bad at this paint thing.
So, here it is. The Heron Formula, you can use it FOR ANY polygon, just remember that the (1/2) always come in the formula and the first vertice is always repeated by the end. Hope that helps! :)

Reaction score
View attachment 28346
So, here it is. The Heron Formula, you can use it FOR ANY polygon, just remember that the (1/2) always come in the formula and the first vertice is always repeated by the end. Hope that helps! :)

So any vertex can be taken as the first and last vertex?

Reaction score
View attachment 28346

Thanks a lot!
Actually calculating the lengths of all the sides and perpendicular is an error-prone method. This one makes the calculation much easier.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Thanks a lot!
Actually calculating the lengths of all the sides and perpendicular is an error-prone method. This one makes the calculation much easier.
Thanks again!

You didn't really know this method? :eek:
No problem. :)
It's good that you asked because this is a very easy, effective method and saves a lot of time.

Reaction score
Oh. Good that you found out now. Practice it. It will be really really helpful, I'm sure.

Now suppose the coordinates of a triangle are C (-2,2) A (-1,-5) and D (10,-7).
Find the area of the triangle CAD. I'm getting -37.5. Why is it negative?

Reaction score
Now suppose the coordinates of a triangle are C (-2,2) A (-1,-5) and D (10,-7).
Find the area of the triangle CAD. I'm getting -37.5. Why is it negative?

It's not negative. Actually, the MODULUS sign, i.e. the |...| means that the value inside, whether negative or positive will always be positive.