• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

History help on 2 questions ... :(

Reaction score
Hello, Once again,i would kindly request some assistance on the following questions :)

Why did Urdu become the national language?

How successful has the promotion of regional
languages and Urdu been since 1947 ?

for the first questions i'm only able to get the following points:

* The most widely understood language, easily spoken by 104 million people in pakistan.
* Had been the representative language of the muslims for more than 3 centuries, most of philosophical poetry of allama iqbal which directed the muslim community towards a seperate homeland was in urdu.
* It also served as a unifying symbol for muslims and has great value in their hearts.

are the above points valid for the first answer ??? and are there any other points that could be added ??? and please help on the second question since .. most of the material i find tells me that institutes are established , schools teach the language , media broadcasts and television or radio channels are broadcasted, magazines / books published or poetry emphasised, ...
but im not able to find any particular details as to the names or the years in which the promotional activities of any language have taken place apart from the establishment of literary boards or the compulsion of education after primary level .. looking forward to your responses :)

Reaction score
for first question
-Urdu's History
-Status given by poets,writers and Sir Syed Ahmed Khan
-Its unifying role in the struggle of Independence.

Reaction score
Ok for your second Question !! See the word Successful !! Well you have to write success and failures of government in promoting the languages though there are very few failures !! :)

Reaction score
I just edited the first answer so better check it out !! :)
and here are some failures which i wrote when i was answering this question.
-Failed to provide any promotion after independence as Government had to deal with other problems e.g: Refugee, Canal Water Dispute.
-Failed to Provide the promotion of languages at the times of war e.g: 1965

I found this question very hard but answered it and got 13 in my montly test but do consult some one before writing these reasons !! :)
Hope i helped !! :)

Reaction score
Well there are 2 more factors too ... for the first question that is
(written as i would in the paper) START
Pakistan is a country with a total of four provinces. That would mean four regional languages, not including those of various other cultures etc. If any one of these were to be chosen e.g Sindhi, the other three would be unhappy as to why that particular province was being favoured and unrest was bound to follow. Revolts, strikes and protests would have occurred. It was partially to prevent this that Urdu was chosen as our national language

On the other hand, another reason could have been that Urdu was considered the Muslims' language. when the hindus of India demanded hindi to be made the official language of the subcontinent, their justification was that since Urdu was made by the Mughals, it was obviously a Muslim language. They said that since they were in a majority Hindi should be made the national language.

STOP

hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Thanks alott !! :D the first one is quite clear now .. but i still dont seem to have a 100% answer for the second one ... i await further assistance :)

Reaction score
msabri1 said:
Well there are 2 more factors too ... for the first question that is
(written as i would in the paper) START
Pakistan is a country with a total of four provinces. That would mean four regional languages, not including those of various other cultures etc. If any one of these were to be chosen e.g Sindhi, the other three would be unhappy as to why that particular province was being favoured and unrest was bound to follow. Revolts, strikes and protests would have occurred. It was partially to prevent this that Urdu was chosen as our national language

On the other hand, another reason could have been that Urdu was considered the Muslims' language. when the hindus of India demanded hindi to be made the official language of the subcontinent, their justification was that since Urdu was made by the Mughals, it was obviously a Muslim language. They said that since they were in a majority Hindi should be made the national language.

STOP

hope this helps :)
yeah this can also be a point but the points I provided are in the Nigel Kelly book !! :)

Reaction score
Also Urdu was chosen as a national language as @msabri1 wrote that it made all the people one as Jinnah himself said that Urdu can be a link language for all provinces.
For Q2 just refer to the books write abt how news channels, radio channels and newspapers and magazines were published in these languages.Also u write abt failures like no attention paid by the govt. as it dealt with crisis in East Pakistan ,the problems after independence.
But one thing shud be clear that as successful was asked so for like 9-7 marks u have to write abt success and then failures so do not worry if u find less success.Well then u provide a statement as usual.

Reaction score
scouserlfc said:
Also Urdu was chosen as a national language as @msabri1 wrote that it made all the people one as Jinnah himself said that Urdu can be a link language for all provinces.
For Q2 just refer to the books write abt how news channels, radio channels and newspapers and magazines were published in these languages.Also u write abt failures like no attention paid by the govt. as it dealt with crisis in East Pakistan ,the problems after independence.
But one thing shud be clear that as successful was asked so for like 9-7 marks u have to write abt success and then failures so do not worry if u find less success.Well then u provide a statement as usual.
I think we have to write about success in 2-3 lines then failure for 2-3 lines then success. This method is given in Nigel Kelly !!

Reaction score
yup it is but ms also provides knowledge on this saying that examiner wont give that many marks for writing failures as first u have to cover the success part for which marks are reserved while the rest is reserved for other reasons like failures.

so it shud be like this 7-9 marks for successes
and 6-4 marks for failures depending on how many failures were. and then one mark for ur statement.

Reaction score
Here goes the answer
-It was important as it gave the provincial ministers wide powers.
-It was used as the constitution of both the states India and pakistan when he acheived Independence.
-The right to vote was largely increased to 25% of the total population.
Hope i helped :)

Reaction score
mmm just a bit confused lol ..... the question is asking why it was important for independence............ doesnt it mean that its asking about in what way it lead towards independence ???? halppp paleezzz

Reaction score
Well this answer was written in Marking Scheme and if you have confusion check it out !!

Reaction score
which is exactly why i didnt mention them. The cambridge system has competitive marking. That means if my points are more unique then i will get more marks. Which is why i chose to mention other points.

Reaction score
well it also depends what points u add if they are relevant then well and good if not then u r making the examiner bored and a little angry which will result in some consequences so always try to keep and make the examiner happy and not bored give the answer to the point and thats it no details thats all u need to know;

well u could also write this that soon after this act was passed the British started having problems and this led to independence.
well u can make various sub points for these main points to support them and salman has already given the main points so just make a no. of sub points and u r ready to answer,I would also give the same points if u ask me.