• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How is your preperation for Chem Unit 2 ???

Reaction score
Step #1: Write the balanced GENERAL EQUATION - In order to write this equation, you must decide what the products are. This example problem is an acid-base reaction. The products will be a salt (NaCl) and water. After you have written the reaction, it must be balanced.

ionic1.gif

Step #2: Write the TOTAL IONIC EQUATION - Here, each reactant and product is studied to determine whether it dissociates in solution. If it is a strong electrolyte, it is written as ions. If it isn't a strong electrolyte it is written as a molecule.

Because NaOH, HCl and NaCl are strong electrolytes they are written as ions. Water is a nonelectrolyte and should be written as a molecule.

ionic2.gif

Step #3: Write the NET IONIC EQUATION - Each species that does not undergo a change is called a "spectator ion". These species are removed from the equation leaving the balanced net ionic equation

In this example, Na+ and Cl- are spectator ions. They do not undergo change in the reaction. Therefore, they are removed.

ionic3.gif

Reaction score
well yeah, when they give me an ionic equation and ask me to balance it, what rules I should follow to BALANCE it?

Reaction score
Just get all numbers from each element on each side.
Find the correct numbers by testing random numbers.
Until the correct are found.
You can either do that or use the reactants to find one mole of product and use fractions, then multiply them all to make the fractions from 1/x to 1.

1/2Cl2 + NaBr > NaCl + 1/2Br
Cl2 + 2NaBr > 2NaCl + Br2

There is no other way to balance them.

Reaction score
HEY RESPECTED PEOPLE I AM SURE YOU ARE WORKING HARD FOR THE EXAM!!!DONT WORRY!!AS A SENIIOR EXAMINER I WILL HELP YOU!!MY TEAM IS JUST MAIKING UNIT B A LITTLE HARD!!UNIT A AND C ARE VERY EASY!!BUT IF YOU HAVE STUDIED!!SO GET PREPARED!!

Reaction score
U can show him an example of disproportionation reaction. I think he means that.

Reaction score
guyz i really need help with the carbonate stability ?? thermal stability ? n the lattice energy ! i get nothing from both ?? help

Reaction score
guyz i really need help with the carbonate stability ?? thermal stability ? n the lattice energy ! i get nothing from both ?? help
For group 1 : The carbonates do not decompose. Only nitrates decompose to nitrites and oxygen except Li.
For group 2 : The carbonates decompose to form its oxide and carbondioxide.
The nitrates decompose to form its oxide, nitrogen dioxide and oxygen. Li acts as same way as Grp 2.