• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How is your preperation for Chem Unit 2 ???

Reaction score
For group 1 : The carbonates do not decompose. Only nitrates decompose to nitrites and oxygen except Li.
For group 2 : The carbonates decompose to form its oxide and carbondioxide.
The nitrates decompose to form its oxide, nitrogen dioxide and oxygen. Li acts as same way as Grp 2.
ya i got that thank you !
but how would we know whats the most stable metal carbonate ??

Reaction score
nd bout chemistry wat points do we exactly need to know =$ i havent touched that part yet ! =p

Reaction score
ur welcome :)
are u asking about the electronegativity thingy?

I think he was.

And a quick question for anyone :p
Uhh, when we talk about thermal stability of carbonates and nitrates, can we describe it in terms of polarising power? Or do they prefer if we talk about the energy released when the ions come together to form the oxide and carbon dioxide?
Or maybe I should write both :)

Thanks in advance xD

Reaction score
The thermal stability increases down da group which means the ease of decomposition decrease. For eg in gp 2 Barium carbonate will take more time to decompose than calcium carbonate.

Reaction score
umm i dono actually ? do we look for electronegativity or the size of the atoms ? =$
m still not sure wat ur asking sorry :oops:

are u talking abt the ionic character in covalent bonds? den for that we see electronegaitivity difference between the two atoms in the bond :)

Reaction score
I think he was.

Uhh, when we talk about thermal stability of carbonates and nitrates, can we describe it in terms of polarising power? Or do they prefer if we talk about the energy released when the ions come together to form the oxide and carbon dioxide?

Thanks in advance xD
Polarising power is the better option :)

Reaction score
I think he was.

Thanks in advance xD
We have to describe it in terms of polarization nd electronegativity.

Reaction score
The thermal stability increases down da group which means the ease of decomposition decrease. For eg in gp 2 Barium carbonate will take more time to decompose than calcium carbonate.
wat would be the explanation for this increase in stability ?? n that will increase the lattice energy ya ?makin it more -ve? =$
mm ugh n is it related to solubility too ? =$
m still not sure wat ur asking sorry :oops:

are u talking abt the ionic character in covalent bonds? den for that we see electronegaitivity difference between the two atoms in the bond :)
nd a covalent charecter n n ionic bond wed look for the size of both ions and cations r8 ?

Reaction score
i think becz it becmz less polarizable nd more ionic down the group. So more forces of attraction and less weakening of C-O nd C-N bond so thermal stability increases down the group.

Reaction score
i think becz it becmz less polarizable nd more ionic down the group. So more forces of attraction and less weakening of C-O nd C-N bond so thermal stability increases down the group.

The size of the lattice enthalpy is governed by several factors, one of which is the distance between the centres of the positive and negative ions in the lattice. Forces of attraction are greatest if the distances between the ions are small. If the attractions are large, then a lot of energy will have to be used to separate the ions - the lattice enthalpy will be large.

The lattice enthalpies of both carbonates and oxides fall as you go down the Group because the positive ions are getting bigger. The inter-ionic distances are increasing and so the attractions become weaker.