• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was 9709 Paper 1? All variants! (Oct/Nov)

How hard was 9709_w15_qp_1 (your variant)?

• Total voters
Reaction score
My variant was 13
I found it moderately hard. Especially the circular measure and the progression question. It's a new approach compared to the recent past years.
The binomial expansion question was easy but lengthy
The circular measure question was very tricky!
The first part of the vector question was easy but the 2nd question was hard ( i think it had the same style as the variant 2 papers)
The progression question was very New. (and hard) This question cracked my head so hard and made me waste so much time!
differentiation and integration was ok.

Expected GT = 58-60?

What do you guys think? I heard that variant 2 was hard too. Didn't get to hear much from Variant 1 candidates.
But the stats paper was very easy though! Heard the same thing for variant 2 candidates!

Reaction score
I also sat variant 13
How do you do the progression question (bouncy ball)
I think the value was a= 0.96 d= -0.04 and r = 0.96 and you use the Sum equation for arithmetic and geometric for part (A) and (B)
What do you do after do you only multiply by 2? Also for the part after that is it sum to infinity 24x2=48?

How do you also do the minimum? maximum? value of a to show it is a composite function?
I also had trouble with part (ii) in the vector question finding P value and vector OA OB

My minimum mark for pure 59
Stats was by far easier and my minimum mark is around 47

Will I be able to get A?

Reaction score
I think you have to add 1 metre at the end. The answer is 20+ metres i think for both AP and GP. I am not so sure about the solution myself as I had trouble answering that too.
I heard the answer was maximum. But i do not know how to do that too!!!
For the value of a, i think i just subbed the range of x given in the question , but i'm not sure whether i'm correct or not.

I think you're able to obtain an A
59 + 47 =106
the overall grade threshold did not go beyond 104 before. I think you should be fine.