• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Chemistry 42?

how difficult was chemistry 42

• Total voters
Reaction score
I've lost 2 from bromine with phenylamine [i replaced NH2 with Br :/]
atleast 2 from NMR
now that my condensation one seems wrong, 2 marks from there
4 from buffer, maybe 3 if they accept my formulae

so...10-11 marks gone. xD

Reaction score
The compound was an arene but it didnt have an acid or amide group. It was a benzene ring with a -CH2-Cl group and an -OH group attached to it.
So you mean a phenol with ch2cl right? Does it matter where we place the oh and ch2cl groups in the ring?

Reaction score
And for everyone freaking out over the paper, guys relax. I honestly think this is not going to touch the 60's mark. Paper was completely abstract from any of the past 7-8 year papers. Im expecting it to be a 56-59 threshold max.
It's really hard to just "chill", I'm still shaken from that mathematics paper 32 I took immediately afterward. And I think that the applications portion usually determines most of the threshold, and it was quite easy compared to the previous years' papers. The rest was moderately difficult, but not too difficult. I too suspected it would be 58 or something around that, certainly not over 60 and certainly not below 55. However, CIE is notorious for crazy thresholds, lets see what happens........

Reaction score
The brits couldnt even print the nmr Peaks properly. That made it really confusing. But thank god i completed the paper with 15mins in hand. so the compound had an arene,an acid group and an amide group too :D
I was lucky to remember at the last moment to subtract -1 from the shifts due to presence of arene. And I was going to mention exactly what you did. The nmr was freaking insane, couldn't see if it was a triplet or doublet. Why the hell do they need to mess up a graphic created by a computer???

Reaction score
The paper was way out of the norm as per previous past papers. GT will definitely be 56-60.

Reaction score
The buffer question is not that hard, as many of the terms can be eliminated.
I think the answer is 15cm3 for acid and 85cm3 for salt.

Reaction score
It's really hard to just "chill", I'm still shaken from that mathematics paper 32 I took immediately afterward. And I think that the applications portion usually determines most of the threshold, and it was quite easy compared to the previous years' papers. The rest was moderately difficult, but not too difficult. I too suspected it would be 58 or something around that, certainly not over 60 and certainly not below 55. However, CIE is notorious for crazy thresholds, lets see what happens........
I know man, its hard to get over a bad paper, i know the feeling as obviously, but getting stuck on something is just worse. Im sure we will all do well IA :)

Reaction score
I was lucky to remember at the last moment to subtract -1 from the shifts due to presence of arene. And I was going to mention exactly what you did. The nmr was freaking insane, couldn't see if it was a triplet or doublet. Why the hell do they need to mess up a graphic created by a computer???
Super freaking insane. They should consider a delayled Errandum for that unclear picture.

Reaction score
and how many moles of H2 did you guys get? As well as the moles with cold NaOH and hot NaOH?

Reaction score
I've lost 2 from bromine with phenylamine [i replaced NH2 with Br :/]
atleast 2 from NMR
now that my condensation one seems wrong, 2 marks from there
4 from buffer, maybe 3 if they accept my formulae

so...10-11 marks gone. xD
10-12 marks gone?

Haha, I left 10-12 mole of marks blank :p
did 20-25 wrong.. I'm screwed!

Reaction score
what are ur expectations for full A level Chemistry gt for getting A* this year?? and what was the equilibria answer???

Reaction score
How many marks will i get if i interchange them? Like 85 cm^3 acid and 15 cm^3 base. I think that is another silly mistake :(

As long as your calculation and method was all okay and you only exchanged the answers, you should only be losing the answer mark, so I'd say 1.