• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Chemistry P1/2

Reaction score
I also think the MCQ regarding pentane's boiling point was option B i.e more covalent bonds have to be broken. Since down the homologous series melting/boiling points increase -> since the number of bonds increases -> hence more heat energy is needed to break the bonds.
As far as the methanol MCQ is concerned, beeloooo is correct - the bond between OH was missing hence it was not the FULL structural bonding of methanol. Option A i.e it can be further oxidized to methanoic acid was the correct answer.

well yes i had a doubt between the covalent and forces one !! but i went with the forces as i doubt that i had read that somewhere !!

check this link :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkane

scroll down to the boiling point heading :)
and than let me know plz :)

Reaction score
A straight-chain alkane will have a boiling point higher than a branched-chain alkane due to the greater surface area in contact, thus the greater van der Waals forces, between adjacent molecules.

Reaction score
If we wrote Zinc Nitite in Q2 as Y, any chance of it being correct even though it was Zinc Nitrate ?

And was heat energy released in last question of section b 4083333kj ?

Reaction score
Lolzz I have come to the conclusion that the more i participate in paper discussions, the more the tension inside me grows.

Perversely, i still cant get off the forums....

Reaction score
If we wrote Zinc Nitite in Q2 as Y, any chance of it being correct even though it was Zinc Nitrate ?

And was heat energy released in last question of section b 4083333kj ?
Yeah i gt that answer

Reaction score
500 x1000 as it was kilograms then divided by two for hydrogen's mrr was 2.

Multiply it to 49 and divide by 3.

Voila.
yea ur ryt

this is the only mistake i made in both p1 n p2 !! well was it of 2 marks >?? i forgot to divide by 3 :mad: pissed !!

Reaction score
I think it was of 3, mot sure though but if you only forgot to divide by 3, I'm sure you will get two marks for two steps.

Reaction score
We didn't have to draw an isomer, but a simple structure of methanol if I remember correctly, no ?