• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

how was chemistry p42?

how was the paper

• super easy

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • easy

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • average

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • hard

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • very hard

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • it was a nightmare

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
no3- = fertiliser
po43- = detergent
so2 = contact process
difficulty in removing no3- = all of its compounds are soluble in water . cannot be precipitated
ion removed on addtion of caco3 = ba2+ and pb2+
though i found it strange that there was both ba2+ and so42-
interaction = van der waals forces between side chain of valine
and hydrogen bond between amide linkage

Reaction score
no3- = fertiliser
po43- = detergent
so2 = contact process
difficulty in removing no3- = all of its compounds are soluble in water . cannot be precipitated
ion removed on addtion of caco3 = ba2+ and pb2+
though i found it strange that there was both ba2+ and so42-
interaction = van der waals forces between side chain of valine
and hydrogen bond between amide linkage

why ba2+ and pb2+?

Reaction score
guys for the pH question. was it 100cm^3 of 0.5moldm^-3 acid or simply 0.5mol in 100cm^3?

Reaction score
About the polymer, it was addition. I'm pretty sure because it has already come out in past paper. :) btw, what did you guys answer in the design material question, it was about what can be removed with caco3 ...?

Reaction score
in reactivity series Ca is found at the top of Pb and Ba so it would displace them from their ions...*i think*
Lead and barium cations wud form insoluble carbonates and sulfate would form the insoluble calcium sulphate so it can be removed

Reaction score
About the polymer, it was addition. I'm pretty sure because it has already come out in past paper. :) btw, what did you guys answer in the design material question, it was about what can be removed with caco3 ...?
The following question, about how does the polymer absorb water, I drew hydrogen bonds between water and the polymer..but I wasn't sure what to do with the Na+ ion in the polymer...I replaced it with a Hydrogen from the water ....

Reaction score
How did you guys do the Bronsted lowry question? I think it was the worst question of the entire paper ....

And what other product formed in the organic question ....the last Q in section A ...

Reaction score
Tha
How did you guys do the Bronsted lowry question? I think it was the worst question of the entire paper ....

And what other product formed in the organic question ....the last Q in section A ...
That quest was wierd just random stuff dont remmb how did u guys do the first quest first part the electrons one i was confused how would chlorine form negative icon when nitrogen is making coordinate covalent bond lol

Reaction score

What is this na+ iom quest ?? It was never completly in the monomer as I recall

Reaction score
Tha
That quest was wierd just random stuff dont remmb how did u guys do the first quest first part the electrons one i was confused how would chlorine form negative icon when nitrogen is making coordinate covalent bond lol
It was NH3 reacting with HCl. So H-Cl bond was broken and the chlorine got that extra electron to form the -ve ion from the hydrogen atom. The H+ then formed the coordinate bond. I guess you didn't read the question properly. That reaction (between NH3 and HCl) was the question's first line.

Reaction score
The following question, about how does the polymer absorb water, I drew hydrogen bonds between water and the polymer..but I wasn't sure what to do with the Na+ ion in the polymer...I replaced it with a Hydrogen from the water ....
I wasn't sure of this one either. I simply showed an ionic type interaction between the Na+ and the delta -ve oxygen and COO- and the delta +ve hydrogen. Although you may be right because the Na+ ions may leave the polymer on adding it to a solution.