• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS CHEMISTRY PAPER 22 ?

How did you find the paper ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
It was quite difficult, the 1st and the 4th question were tough other than that all went well :D Hope the Gt is low anybody knows the equation when Nh4Cl + H2SO4 react what will be the products i wrote CaCl2 + H2O + NH3 are these correct ?
It wasn't H2SO4, it was a calcium compound, as you're getting a Ca in your products.

Reaction score
Idolfanatic95
Sorry for my last post :p not H2SO4 i wrote NH4Cl + CaO ---> H2O + NH3 + CaCl2 i balanced it em too lazy to do it now :p I dont think it was Ca(OH)2 as CaO was the best drying agent.

Reaction score
The compound was tertiary alcohol it was (CH3)3CHO try drawing the structure u will get to know.
Yes, u see that it was CHO. It means that H is before O. That's impossible for an alcohol as a hydrogen can only form one bond (i.e. either with carbon or with oxygen).It can't form a bond with both of them at the same time. What I remember is that it was (CH3)3CCHO.

Reaction score
Idolfanatic95
Sorry for my last post :p not H2SO4 i wrote NH4Cl + CaO ---> H2O + NH3 + CaCl2 i balanced it em too lazy to do it now :p I dont think it was Ca(OH)2 as CaO was the best drying agent.
CaO was a drying agent, it didn't have to take part in the reaction to form ammonia. it was there to absorb the water produced in the reaction between ammonium chloride and calcium hydroxide :)

Reaction score
no there were only 4 carbons it was (CH3)3CHO if it were (CH3)3CCHO there would be an aldehyde.

Reaction score
See I have never seen a compound anywhere which has a CHO in the end and is an alcohol. A CHO in the end always means that the carbon has a double bond with oxygen, indicating that it's an aldehyde. It it were alcohol, it would've been OH then. Btw do you remember the exact formula of the compound?
yes its exactly (CH3)2CHO as mentioned by speed20
and since it was a structural formula,it iznt necessary that if it was written this way u wud call it an aldehyde

Reaction score
See I have never seen a compound anywhere which has a CHO in the end and is an alcohol. A CHO in the end always means that the carbon has a double bond with oxygen, indicating that it's an aldehyde. It it were alcohol, it would've been OH then. Btw do you remember the exact formula of the compound?
it was (CH3)3COH!

Reaction score
yes its exactly (CH3)2CHO as mentioned by speed20
and since it was a structural formula,it iznt necessary that if it was written this way u wud call it an aldehyde
It it was (CH3)2CHO, then the last carbon has only three bonds attached if u consider it to be an alcohol .:p Secondly, structural formula always matters. If u show me any compound from anywhere which is an alcohol and has a CHO in the end, I'll accept that I'm wrong then.

Reaction score
What was the Answer of question 5 ? the 2 isomers ? I had a cis-trans and an optical isomer pair are these correct?

Reaction score
Dudes it was (CH3)3CHO i remember -_- i spent 10 mins on guessing its structure :p