• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS CHEMISTRY PAPER 22 ?

How did you find the paper ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Tell me about the first compound. Wasn't it an aldehyde being oxidised into a crboxylic acid?
As far as i understood, The main carbon atom atom already had three methyl groups attached to it, the fourth being -OH. There is no way that it cud be oxidised since:
1) It was a tertiary alcohol
2) Even if you say it cud be, that way C=O wud lead to the formation of FIVE bonds with Carbon which is not possible.

Reaction score
As far as i understood, The main carbon atom atom already had three methyl groups attached to it, the fourth being -OH. There is no way that it cud be oxidised since:
1) It was a tertiary alcohol
2) Even if you say it cud be, that way C=O wud lead to the formation of FIVE bonds with Carbon which is not possible.
See what I remember is there was CHO in the end. It wasn't an alcohol. It was probably (CH3)3CCHO then as a five bond compound would seem rather stupid to give.