• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

how was chemistry paper 22

Reaction score
there was no chiral carbon (at least i hope there wasnt cuz thats what i wrote)

after the box in no.4, they asked for the structural formula of the compound formed when the crotyl alcohol ( or something like that) reacted with PCl5, i think it was probably the OH replaced by Cl. after that, there was a skeletal formula for an aldehyde, calculating empirical formula which came C7H14O for me (not sure if this is correct)
yes With PCl 5 only replace -OH with Cl b/c we read the rxn of -OH with Pcl5 not with alkene
with K2cr2O7 no rxn with Alkene but -OH replaced with -HO b/c they asked for heat under reflux
oxidation of Alkene is with KMnO4 not with K2Cr2O7

Reaction score
KMnO4= alkene oxidized and 2 OH's added to the crotyl alcohol
PCl5= OH replaced by Cl
NaBH4= no reaction?
h2 and Ni catalyst= 2 H's added across double bond

there was another one, i dont remember, what was it??

Reaction score
KMnO4= alkene oxidized and 2 OH's added to the crotyl alcohol
PCl5= OH replaced by Cl
NaBH4= no reaction?
h2 and Ni catalyst= 2 H's added across double bond

there was another one, i dont remember, what was it??
It was k2Cr2O7/H+ heat under reflux and in this one primary alcohol was oxidised to carboxylic acid ..

Reaction score
Yes ma'am it's up. -_-
P.S. No one really cares anyway.
1) Not a ma'am.
2) I'd rather be sure.

Anyway. I think the NH3 weak base was NH3 + H2O -> NH4 + OH with a suitable description of how a weak base is one which does not dissociate completely in water.

With excess Ammonia whatever the compound was [the one with CL on the ends and OH in between] was getting NH2 on the two ends and replaced the OH, it was a nucleophilic substitution.

K2Cr2O7/H+ made carboxylic acid out of the alcohol, whereas KMnO4 cold dilute made a diol.

Reaction score
Contact process requirements were Vanadium {V} Oxide catalyst, 450C temperature, 1ATM pressure.

Example of period 3 oxide and chloride could be P4O10 which burns with yellow flame and the chloride is PCL5 which leaves behind solution of PH 2.

Aluminium was the covalent chloride which could conduct as well as the cation with the best conductivity.