• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

how were bio papers?

Reaction score
So what about the question about the pyramid of numbers?
It was weird and I just described what it is without any explanation.
Basically just say that this pyramid represents number of organisms in the havbitat in each trophic level etc etc. Then u could go on to say that the shape of the pyramid is variable, with sometimes the top being larger than the bottome etc...

Reaction score
wronggggggggggggg. Please accept it was continuous :sleep:
The table below compares continuous and discontinuous variation.
CONTINUOUS VARIATION DISCONTINUOUS VARIATION
1. Complete range of types, e.g. for height, from
dwarfs to giants, but most will be of normal height.
1. Sharply contrasting types, e.g. tall pea plants or
dwarf pea plants.
2. Phenotype (observed features) controlled by many
pairs of alleles. 2. Phenotype controlled by one pair of alleles.
3. Environment plays a major part 3. Environment plays little part.
NB. Phenotype = observable features of an organism. E.g. blue eyes, brown eyes.
Alleles = pairs of genes inherited from parents, which control a character.

asd

Reaction score
when we are specifically referring to height of pea plants Only ...than we are talking about discontinuous variation :) !!
Height is continuous variation that depends on environmental factors...

Reaction score
Height is continuous variation that depends on environmental factors...
agreed mate but for the pea plants it is da odr way around u cn check anywhere!!! consult ur teacher even !! it was discontinuous only :) surf the net !!

asd

Reaction score
agreed mate but for the pea plants it is da odr way around u cn check anywhere!!! consult ur teacher even !! it was discontinuous only :) surf the net !!
Don't you tell me that... :cry: I expected 40/40 ....:(

Reaction score
So, mine is correcT? It just showed continuous variation right? since there were extremes and intermediates in the height trend !

Yes it was a continuous variation, even though bar charts are used for discontinuous variations and the height of pea plants is also a discontinuous variation according to Mendel's pea plant experiment, however he only performed the experiment classifying them into 2 categories i.e tall and short. In this MCQ we were given a wide range of extremities stretching from lengths of 40cm to 160cm and not the 2 categorical ranges of tall and short, hence it was a continuous variation.

Reaction score
So, mine is correcT? It just showed continuous variation right? since there were extremes and intermediates in the height trend !
yar we are correct. just open the revision guide you got, ignore him.
why the hell are you even listening to him when you know you're right ;)

Reaction score
i labelled pupil as z as that is where the RESPONSE occurs. iris is merely the effector that carries out the response but....... i
thought that pupil is the region affected......argh

Reaction score
i labelled pupil as z as that is where the RESPONSE occurs. iris is merely the effector that carries out the response but....... i
thought that pupil is the region affected......argh
effector are the ciliary muscles.
response occurs at the iris.

Reaction score
In that question, exactly what were we trying to label??? It said a response, but there are TWO responses, one by the iris muscles and the other by the ciliary muscles/lens. The question said WHERE does the response occur!

My point is, isnt it possible that this question could have TWO answers?

Reaction score
In that question, exactly what were we trying to label??? It said a response, but there are TWO responses, one by the iris muscles and the other by the ciliary muscles/lens. The question said WHERE does the response occur!

My point is, isnt it possible that this question could have TWO answers?
ciliary muscles receive the impulse from the brain and thus, it is the EFFECTOR.
now this causes the lens to change its shape , and thus, a RESPONSE occurs.
hope you get it. :)