• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

If you have any question on chem p6 im ready you guys. Don't Worry!!

Reaction score
please explain the "preparing soluble salt" and which acid and base to chose
sorry for being late.
1st you choose an acid (sulfuric for sulfates, hydrochloric for chlorides, nitric for nitrates, and phosphoric for phosphates).
Choose a reactant. either a soluble reactant of an insoluble one. Soluble reactants are like Alkalis, ok? Insoluble reactant like Metals (MAZIT METALS, mg, al, zn, and sn) or a carbonate, or an insoluble base. Now if you choose a soluble reactant then you carry out titration, if you choose an insoluble reactant then you add an excess of this insoluble to the acid and filter and crystalize.
Soluble(acid) + soluble reactant= insoluble salt (percipitation)
Insoluble+Soluble= Soluble salt.

Reaction score
isnt it
1) Solid base (or metal) and an acid to make a SOLUBLE salt.
2) Soluble base (alkali) and an acid to make a SOLUBLE salt.
3) Precipitation method to make an INSOLUBLE salt.

Reaction score
plz help me in this question :
how will we know when to use burette or measuring cylinder ??? is there any range of volumes for which we should use burette or measuring cylinder....
thnx in advance :):)

Reaction score
Hi.
plz help me in this question :
how will we know when to use burette or measuring cylinder ??? is there any range of volumes for which we should use burette or measuring cylinder....
thnx in advance :):)
when in a question they use a measuring cylinder and then later on they ask you how to make the experiment more accurate you say use a burette instead of a measuring cylinder because it is more accurate. I dont think theres a defined range of volumes, u dont need to know that
(pipette holds exactly 25cm cubed)

Reaction score
isnt it
1) Solid base (or metal) and an acid to make a SOLUBLE salt.
2) Soluble base (alkali) and an acid to make a SOLUBLE salt.
3) Precipitation method to make an INSOLUBLE salt.

Oh sorry sorry soluble plus soluble make a soluble. my bad

Reaction score
could you give me some tips like on how to know something like the solvent used in chromatography
or what do we conclude from a test of ion
or where do we place fire?

Reaction score
a burette will allow u 2 dispense larger volumes than pipette & measuring cylinder can dispense larger volumes than burette & pipette :)

Reaction score
could you give me some tips like on how to know something like the solvent used in chromatography
alright :)
they dont usually ask about that :S but you can always use water as a solvent. (but when to grind for example leaves to do chromatography to them, grind with ethanol bcuz chlorophyl dissolves in ethnol)

if like they say solid X was tested with NaOH(aq) and it gave a dirty green ppt then the conclusion is it contains Iron(ii). if it has pH of 1-2 it is a strong acid, 3-6 weak acid and so on.

they usually ask where heat is applied and it is under the substance to be decomposed. if like theres a wool with ethanol soaked in it, heat is applied in the wool.

Reaction score
If for example they say they added hydrochloric acid to Barium Chloride and they want the observation, then there is no change because HCl and BaCl2 do not react together. Also use the displacement rules. Like Cu cannot react with HCl because Cu is less reactive than the H+ ion and so would not displace it. ( Basic oxides do not dissolve in bases they only dissolve in acids, and acidic oxides only dissolve in bases and not acids)
OKAY THEN, when do we know if their is no change in the test of ions:confused:

Reaction score
do u mean hw 2 place the chromatography paper in a solvent or hw 2 calc. the Rf solvent front??

Reaction score
I REALLY NEED HELP WHEN THEY ASK US TO CONCLUDE ABOUT TEST OF IONS!!!
Lost life, actually YOU CAN!! if you memorize the test of cations and anions pretty well then conclusions become easy. Example, you know that Cu ions dissolve in excess ammonia to give a deep blue solution and that carbonates react with acids to give CO2 as an effervesence, and they ask you a substance was tested with Ammonia excess and gave a adeep blue solution and with acids it gave a gas that turns lime water milky(CO2) then this for sure contains a copper ion and a carbonate ion and so would be Copper Carbonate.

Reaction score
If for example they say they added hydrochloric acid to Barium Chloride and they want the observation, then there is no change because HCl and BaCl2 do not react together. Also use the displacement rules. Like Cu cannot react with HCl because Cu is less reactive than the H+ ion and so would not displace it. ( Basic oxides do not dissolve in bases they only dissolve in acids, and acidic oxides only dissolve in bases and not acids)
:( I THUGHT that for example if, they mentioned, that the solution was added to hydrochloric acid,then it was added to barium chloride,
i thought that there is no product with such reaction...
is that right to?:oops:

Reaction score
do u mean hw 2 place the chromatography paper in a solvent or hw 2 calc. the Rf solvent front??
no , a paper had a question saying suggest a suitable solvent for water-soluble fruit coloring's... i put ethanol,, but the answer is water :(