• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Information on SAT - Please help!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to the SAT forum and I really need your help!

I completed my 'A' levels in June this year and managed to score straight A's in four science subjects (I'm just saying this because it'll help you in giving me a reasonable advice).

Initially, I had no plans of going to the U.S.A for my further studies. But looking at my 'A' level results, I have been encouraged to apply to some of the top prestigious institutions such as California Institute of Technology, Cornell University, MIT etc (I know my results aren't thaaat great to get me accepted in these universities, but I just wanna try my luck :D).

I understand that it is vital to take the SAT tests before applying to the U.S universities. Honestly, I am completely blank on SAT.. I literally have no idea about these tests! So I will be really grateful if you could help me out by first guiding me on the following so that I could increase my chances of getting accepted:

1. How much time do I need to prepare for these tests in order to achieve excellent scores? As you can see, I don't really have much time.. so is one month enough to prepare?
  2. I quickly went through the collegeboard website to find out more about these tests and I figured out that there are two types: SAT reasoning test an SAT subject tests. Is it compulsory to take the SAT reasoning test if I choose to take the subject tests? Since I am going for engineering, would the Mathematics and Physics subject tests suffice?
  3. Compared to the CIE 'A' levels, what is the difficulty level of the SAT tests?
I know I have asked for a li'l too much information, but I will really appreciate all your help since I do not have any counselors in my area. Also, if there is anything else you feel could assist me with this, please let me know.

Waiting for your replies.

Thanks a tonne :)

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
  1. How much time do I need to prepare for these tests in order to achieve excellent scores? As you can see, I don't really have much time.. so is one month enough to prepare?
  2. I quickly went through the collegeboard website to find out more about these tests and I figured out that there are two types: SAT reasoning test an SAT subject tests. Is it compulsory to take the SAT reasoning test if I choose to take the subject tests? Since I am going for engineering, would the Mathematics and Physics subject tests suffice?
  3. Compared to the CIE 'A' levels, what is the difficulty level of the SAT tests?

1. Not enough, in most cases. But you never know. Just give it a try!
2. You need to take both, as all the colleges you've mentioned above require test scores of both these tests.
3. SAT Subject tests are somewhat easier than CIE exams but more competitive, since a lot of students get very high scores in them.
SAT Reasoning Test is an entirely different thing.

Reaction score
1. Not enough, in most cases. But you never know. Just give it a try!
2. You need to take both, as all the colleges you've mentioned above require test scores of both these tests.
3. SAT Subject tests are somewhat easier than CIE exams but more competitive, since a lot of students get very high scores in them.
SAT Reasoning Test is an entirely different thing.
^What he said.
Anyway, the deadlines for admissions this year are closed. Apply to colleges within the following months, so that you can enroll in the 2015 class.
Yeah, I want to apply for the Fall 2015 semester