• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Is A=A asterisk??

Reaction score
i am wondering whether A is equal to A star?does anyone know?
i will be truly appreciated if somebody could tell me.Thank you

Reaction score
A and A* are two different grades! A is for 80% and above marks whereas A* is for 90% and above marks.

Reaction score
In a way you are right too.... 85 % is A and 90% A*. LOl But from 80% to 89% is A...

Reaction score
well i heard that from 2011 grading system will be changed....................how true is that?????

Reaction score
falcon678 said:
well i heard that from 2011 grading system will be changed....................how true is that?????
It may be true, well if Pigs fly xD
The grading system will remain the same ;)

Reaction score
Well i don't know exactly but i will try! Consider a Candidate A and B. Suppose a very hard papers comes and highest marks acheive would be 80/100 which was acheived by Candidate A so Candidate B will be marked the following if he has taken 70 marks (70/80)*100 in this way it would be more easy to achieve A*

Reaction score
Yeah thats easy... I hope its this way... THanks

But I dont get this:

Many people have been asking about the new grade policy. In fact this is the most frequent qst that i'm coming across. I replied many pm's too but here is an example for those who still have confusions after reading my earlier topic on the new grade policy.

Assume there are 2 papers of subject X. P1 has 40 marks. And p2 has 60 marks. If in July CIE sets the minimum number of marks required for an A in p1 as 32/40 and for a B as 29/40. Likewise it sets A at 52/60 in P2 and B as 48/60 in P2. So, you need a minimum of this to achieve the required grade in each paper. Now, CIE will total your number of marks. One thing is for sure the minimum required to get A* will be set as many marks above the sum of the Grade A minimum as the grade B is below it. In this example:

for B: 29 + 48 = 77/100

FOR "A" 32 + 52 = 84/100.

Now CIE will subtract the minimum for a B from A.

Hence, 84-77 = 7 marks.

These will be added to the sum of A grade marks i.e. 84 + 7 = 91 marks. Therefore, 91/100 will be the minimum for an A*.

So, you can see it is not necessary to get a minimum in each paper. If you got say 31/40 in P1 it'll be given grade B according to our assumptions above. And if you got 60/60 in P2 you'll get an A in p2. But the total will be 31 + 60 = 91 marks. Hence, you've achieved the minimum for A* .

The minimum for A* that is 91/100 in our example will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 90%.

The minimum for A in our example 84 will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 80% .

Thats how it will work.

Reaction score
i did not mean about the marks.i am asking that whether a level skuls will consider A and A asterisk as different grades?