• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

is english dying?

Reaction score
the sms language is known as "SLANGS" which are never gonna be allowed atleast in CIE :)

so thats not authentic,was just a rumour i think :ugeek:

Reaction score
alisha said:
but isn't it a shame that the prestigious language of english is being degraded

oh, well, i gisagrre to dat but.. :| :p
but overall, i agree, not coz of that easy difficult thing but coz i had a B in o lvl english, n now every "B class" student will say 'hey, i got an A*' :p kinda selfish thou.. :p bt fair enuff :D

Reaction score
alisha I'm totally with you so here you got one for your protest,changing english exams to slang will be DISASTEROUS even if it became easy I mean these exams are the only thing keeping the real language alive and imagine when it is gone (imagine you 're talking to someone important and saying "hi dude "or something like that)it will be real stupid ,don't you think?

Reaction score
well,
''sea princess'' got a point there..
I agree with her upto some limits..
Because we need to be formal when speaking with some elder..
Which is considered as respect.
These all can be earned by practicing english WITHOUT slangs,

slangs can be used while speaking,
but i dont think they should be used while writing..
Its going to ruin english
but i dont care ;)
most british people themselves are using slangs in their language..
Soo yeah,it depends on the particular situation or the particular time..

Reaction score
hehe i TOTALLY agree with you sea princess! especially wen ur in an interview!

itz k wen ur wit a bunch f friends and ur just chattin and stuff.
BUT IT DOES MATTER wen writin official suff especially an EXAM!

Reaction score
Is it really possible to use abbreviations and short forms in o-level! I do not want to take the chance.

Reaction score
No way, sms language won't be accepted in IGCSE paper. It's a complete rumour or a big lie.
However, lots of people believe that the English language teaching boom will be over by 2010. I have read an article on this too.

Reaction score
Well, no offence but your english doesn't sound all that sound :roll: . So the big fuss about what should , and shouldn't be, doesn't sound right coming from you.But again i'm not trying to dog you or anything :mrgreen: . Anyway eventually sms jargon would be accepted. You'd be surprpised how many words in the english dictionary were actually colloqual. For example it was totally unacceptable to refer to someone as you in the days of old :!: . Back then you were only allowed to use thees ad thous. But now those are obsolete. That's the way language evolves so there's nothing to be worried about :cool: .

Reaction score
<ignoring the insulting bit>
every1 has different opinions...im just campaigning for people who share my opinion!
thank you

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I TOTALLY DISAGREE.
English is exactly the same as it was some years before. The fact that English Examinations are a bit easier (NOW) than they were before, does not mean that english has died or IS DYING.
So chill people, nothing's gonna happen to our English ;)

Reaction score
Yeah i to some agree extent cuz i got to know that 2 students in a college gave their paper in roman ENGLISH !!!!
they were sadllyy....failed
:(

Reaction score
yup! it means that we don't work hard (or worked hard) for nothing!