• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

is english dying?

Reaction score
I would most definitely opt for the difficult way out. Anyway I already got an A* in IGCSE English so I don't really care about the O level part. But I agree with alisha upto a point. English has it's own charm and I always admire authors who can write proper English. But unfortunately, all you need to do now to become an international best-seller is write some supernatural cliche or non cliche love story. Add in a way too I'm-not-worth-anything girl and an extremely hot guy and you're ready to get started, add in some other new species who also incidentally falls in love with the girl and bingo you got a story. Maybe that's the reason we don't find people who can write like J.R.R.Tolkien, Christopher Paolini, J.K. Rowling etc.[Don't get me wrong I don't hate supernatural books, I'm a total mortal instruments fan but I'm sick of reading the same boring vamp/girl/werewolf love triangle. We don't get to read good literature anymore. But then again, I think very few people would agree with me.
But wouldn't the sms part be wierd? I don't think the British Council will be so lenient even if they do speak slang. Most probably they'll be more lenient with checking.

Reaction score
i totally agree with the above! books these days can get soooooo stupid and sappy! besides people (especially girls) are degraded so much coz of lame stories these days!

Reaction score
Im more in2 books like DAN BROWN which have exhilarating stories and at the same time gets you thinking. Besides the facts in those books don't exactly put you 2 sleep either.

Reaction score
alisha said:
Im more in2 books like DAN BROWN which have exhilarating stories and at the same time gets you thinking. Besides the facts in those books don't exactly put you 2 sleep either.

I dunno, I think I'll have to disagree here with you. I read Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and I did not like it. It felt more like I was reading a French history book but I forced myself to finish it and the ending didn't impress me either, so I didn't read anymore of his books. Eragon by Christopher Paolini, on the other hand, had me hooked the minute I started reading it. i absolutely loved it and I've read all the books in the series. I dunno, I think I prefer sci-fi to non-fiction. But maybe that's because my mood varies according to the material I read and reading depressing non-fiction books gives me pangs of depression.

Reaction score
lol ya the eragon series was addicting......cant w8 4 the last book 2 be released in my country!

Reaction score
alisha said:
lol ya the eragon series was addicting......cant w8 4 the last book 2 be released in my country!

You mean Pakistan? Wahan kab release ho gii? probably after the original release right??

Reaction score
lol no not pakistan............but i did get 2 knw that the original is released

Reaction score
what? I thought the original release date for Inheritance was in November.

Reaction score
oh :( then i was misinformed! but good at the same time, its after all the exams are over!

Reaction score
So it means students will have to struggle less to improve their writing skills. and will not be able to have quality english which is not a good thing i guess.

Reaction score
Khaled Hosseini is also a great author. Kite runner & A thousand splendid suns are both excellent reads, but they tend to cause depression. So I've only read them once and probably won't again.

Reaction score
Yeah so I heard. But I've only seen the movie, so I assume the book was was great too.

Reaction score
English is dying, its in Intensive care unit, need A+ blood bottles.