• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IS THERE NEGATIVE MARKING IN O LEVEL?

Reaction score
Plz anybody tell me............I heard that if a question is worth 2 marks and I write 2 correct correct points followed by two incorrect points......will I gain the 2 marks?

Reaction score
No negative marking, you either get marks or you dont.
Marks aren't deducted!

Reaction score
my question is if our word limit exceeds by like 50+ words in english, how much marks are deducted?

Reaction score
my question is if our word limit exceeds by like 50+ words in english, how much marks are deducted?
they wil read til the words limit and give u marks according to it, the exceeded words wont be included in ur story

Reaction score

They will not deduct any mark in paper 1 for crossing the word limit, as it is stated that you are ADVISED to write between 350-500 words, not forced to. Also if you read the examiner's reports, they hardly comment on exceeding word limits in paper 1 :) in paper 2 however, the checking for word count is very strict in the summary. You cant go above 170 or below 150, going above it means they will cross out all your words from above the 170th point, and below that means your marks will be deducted for not following the instructed word length.

Reaction score
Plz anybody tell me............I heard that if a question is worth 2 marks and I write 2 correct correct points followed by two incorrect points......will I gain the 2 marks?

Yes you will gain the 2 marks dont worry, there is no such thing as negative marking in O levels unless the concept in your answer is completely wrong. Though there may be negative marking in the language papers depending on the examiners favor.

Reaction score
They will not deduct any mark in paper 1 for crossing the word limit, as it is stated that you are ADVISED to write between 350-500 words, not forced to. Also if you read the examiner's reports, they hardly comment on exceeding word limits in paper 1 :) in paper 2 however, the checking for word count is very strict in the summary. You cant go above 170 or below 150, going above it means they will cross out all your words from above the 170th point, and below that means your marks will be deducted for not following the instructed word length.

I know i've read that too but I have heard that they allow exceeding 10% words, while some say they cut off 4 marks so i don't really know what to believe. In the marking scheme it's written that in the given time 350-500 can be written. doesn't mean that beyond can't be written or else they would state 'creative writing SHOULD be 350-500 words' or something. Exactly they is hardly any mention of exceeding the word limit in the examiner report so I don't really know.. what makes you sure that the crossing the word limit isn't a big deal? What my friends did when they crossed the limit, in the end they wrote number of words like 445 or 289 whereas i crossed like 80 words and 545 words for section B and 315 for section A :p .

Reaction score
I know i've read that too but I have heard that they allow exceeding 10% words, while some say they cut off 4 marks so i don't really know what to believe. In the marking scheme it's written that in the given time 350-500 can be written. doesn't mean that beyond can't be written or else they would state 'creative writing SHOULD be 350-500 words' or something. Exactly they is hardly any mention of exceeding the word limit in the examiner report so I don't really know.. what makes you sure that the crossing the word limit isn't a big deal? What my friends did when they crossed the limit, in the end they wrote number of words like 445 or 289 whereas i crossed like 80 words and 545 words for section B and 315 for section A :p .

Exactly it doesn't mean that 350-500 SHOULD be written. Well I'm sure because our teacher told us that she's in contact with the assistant examiner in every teacher's workshop, and according to them they don't really mind the word length in paper 1, but strictly check it in paper 2. If it was that big of a deal, they would've mentioned it clearly in the examiner's reports so don't worry its no stress. If it makes you feel better I probably wrote around 700 words in my essay :)

Reaction score
it depends what you write first
the first two points will be checkd

Reaction score
Exactly it doesn't mean that 350-500 SHOULD be written. Well I'm sure because our teacher told us that she's in contact with the assistant examiner in every teacher's workshop, and according to them they don't really mind the word length in paper 1, but strictly check it in paper 2. If it was that big of a deal, they would've mentioned it clearly in the examiner's reports so don't worry its no stress. If it makes you feel better I probably wrote around 700 words in my essay :)
in p2, in the summary i think i managed to get that in the given words or maybe a few words up, not really massively worried about that because p1 holds like 90% more marks than 5 marks summary :p so i was freakin worried :/ Aw! you're making me feel soo much better now, like completely the even one. Before i kept thinking what a fool i am that i wrote so much when it wasn't even needed. so did you mention in the word count that you've written 700 words in the end or not? btw, how many marks are deducted for spelling mistakes? I learned a couple of new words that morning and used them, of which two of the words spelling i messed up D: btw, how was your speech?

Reaction score
in p2, in the summary i think i managed to get that in the given words or maybe a few words up, not really massively worried about that because p1 holds like 90% more marks than 5 marks summary :p so i was freakin worried :/ Aw! you're making me feel soo much better now, like completely the even one. Before i kept thinking what a fool i am that i wrote so much when it wasn't even needed. so did you mention in the word count that you've written 700 words in the end or not? btw, how many marks are deducted for spelling mistakes? I learned a couple of new words that morning and used them, of which two of the words spelling i messed up D: btw, how was your speech?

Haha true that, but just make sure you didn't cross 170 in the summary! Be rest assured I'm 101% sure that marks wont be deducted in P1 for crossing the word limit :) nope I didnt, we are supposed to leave that for the examiner. Even if we write the word count he/she will still recheck it so no point :p um well if you see the syllabus of our english components on the CIE website, they say that spelling mistakes are only forgiven on words which are commonly spelled wrong and if the word with the spelling mistake is still legible, so it depends. Speech was okay, the topic was a total load of crap in my opinion though and the points were pretty much interlinked so I could only think of limited things to write :/ wbu?

Reaction score
''The mark scheme allows many possible answers for this part of the question. Many candidates
gave a list of three, four or even five suggestions. This should not be encouraged as wrong
answers will always lose a mark, even if two correct answers are also given.''
extract from examiner report of 5054 physics year 2007,session june.

Reaction score
okay, random question but does it matter if we exceed the lines given to us for an answer? My teachers said the examirers don't check anything that goes beyond the given space o_O but i don't think that's true, or is it?

Reaction score
okay, random question but does it matter if we exceed the lines given to us for an answer? My teachers said the examirers don't check anything that goes beyond the given space o_O but i don't think that's true, or is it?
aah actually now the examination scripts are scanned and checked soo if you write more lines they probably wont come on the scan. thats why its said to write pecisely and try to use only the lines given.

Reaction score
Haha true that, but just make sure you didn't cross 170 in the summary! Be rest assured I'm 101% sure that marks wont be deducted in P1 for crossing the word limit :) nope I didnt, we are supposed to leave that for the examiner. Even if we write the word count he/she will still recheck it so no point :p um well if you see the syllabus of our english components on the CIE website, they say that spelling mistakes are only forgiven on words which are commonly spelled wrong and if the word with the spelling mistake is still legible, so it depends. Speech was okay, the topic was a total load of crap in my opinion though and the points were pretty much interlinked so I could only think of limited things to write :/ wbu?
I am sure it was around about 165-168, i don't remember, just between this. Only if i had some time, i would have managed to to cross out words that weren't needed. Are we? my teacher told to make sure we've a word count written at the end. Speech was awful :/ like the biggest flop of my life i tell you :/ I've been focusing mostly on articles and news reports. letters. Only once practiced speech, not that I didn't know of the format or tone, but ran out of words/ideas because the topic was so bakwas! -.-