• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hello I already asked This question houveee Im not finding the Answer . 3^x = 81 . I know its 4 however when i dont know whats the way through "log" can I find? Tks

Reaction score
guyz I've got a question, any help will be appreciated. for those who registered for Maths 0580 in M/J 2013 , their option was BY , I'm talking here about Zone 3..
I've checked the timetable for NOV 2013 (zone 3), and realized that it will be variant 1 , so now if i take maths this Nov, i should be giving option BX which is variant 1 , where as BY is for variant 2 right? :)

Reaction score
What is it? A question or do you need notes
P.S i have got a lot of notes because i just finished my boards for IGCSE

i need explanation and question the book has very few and pastpapers are quite easy but in the exam god knows better where they get hard questions from
sorry couldnt reply to your messag before, server error

Reaction score
hey, can anyone please help me with these probability problems?

1) A die has its six faces marked 0,1,1,1,6,6. Two of these dice are thrown together and the total score is recorded. Draw a tree diagram.
(a) How many different totals are possible?
(b) what is the probability of obtaining a total of 7?

2) Two dice, each with four faces marked 1,2,3 and 4 are thrown together.
(a) what is the most likely total score on the faces pointing downwards?
(b) What is the probability of obtaining this score on three successive throws of the two dice?

thanks so much :D

Answer to the first question:
The tree diagram posted by 'SOUMAYYA' is correct. But the answer to 1a) is 6 i.e. 6 different totals are possible. Here is the explanation:
The question says DIFFERENT TOTALS and NOT ONLY 'TOTALS'. This means that the answer which you get in total should not be repeated that is it should considered as once only. Eg. the totals are 0, 1, 6, 1, 2, 7, 6, 7, 12. Now we see that 0 has appeared once but 1 has appeared twice. But we will consider 1 has appeared once only and similarly do with other numbers. If you do in this wsay you will see that there are 6 different numbers which is the answer to the question. If the question stated 'How many totals are possible?' then your answer would have been 9.
Answer to 1b)
(3/6 * 2/6) + (2/6 * 3/6) = 1/3

Hope that this helps! :D
Rahatara Sadique

Reaction score
hey, can anyone please help me with these probability problems?

1) A die has its six faces marked 0,1,1,1,6,6. Two of these dice are thrown together and the total score is recorded. Draw a tree diagram.
(a) How many different totals are possible?
(b) what is the probability of obtaining a total of 7?

2) Two dice, each with four faces marked 1,2,3 and 4 are thrown together.
(a) what is the most likely total score on the faces pointing downwards?
(b) What is the probability of obtaining this score on three successive throws of the two dice?

thanks so much :D

Answer to Question 1: The tree diagram by soumayya is correct
1a) Answer is Six different totals are possible. Nine is the wrong answer because the question clearly states 'DIFFERENT TOTALS' and not only 'TOTALS'. If the question was ' How many totals are possible?' then the answer would have been nine.
1b) (3/6 * 2/6) + (2/6 * 3/6) = 1/3
Hope this helps! :D
Rahatara Sadique

Reaction score
Answer to Question 1: The tree diagram by soumayya is correct
1a) Answer is Six different totals are possible. Nine is the wrong answer because the question clearly states 'DIFFERENT TOTALS' and not only 'TOTALS'. If the question was ' How many totals are possible?' then the answer would have been nine.
1b) (3/6 * 2/6) + (2/6 * 3/6) = 1/3
Hope this helps! :D
Rahatara Sadique
R you sure about these answers???

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone help solve these questions? Thankss.

Attachments

• 20130830_214815.jpg
    20130830_214815.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hello. I'm having surds and indices in school. PURE MATHEMATICS 1 - HUGH NEIL AND DOUGLAS QUADLING
page 29 , miscellaneous exercises 2 - 4(c)