• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
maths 9709

hi anyone can help me ? its june2005 paper3 question 5 & 6
iv got a paper on the 28th
thanks

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm having serious problems :O: with the A level probabilties section. PLEASE!!!! Anyone with study notes on the topic/advice/fellow sufferers of the whims of probability-HELP! (Misery loves company, but loves help even more!)
P.S. I am using "Advanced Level Mathematics, Statistics 1" by Steve Dobbs and Jane Miller

Reaction score
Mithrandir said:
Unfortunately, I'm having serious problems :O: with the A level probabilties section. PLEASE!!!! Anyone with study notes on the topic/advice/fellow sufferers of the whims of probability-HELP! (Misery loves company, but loves help even more!)
P.S. I am using "Advanced Level Mathematics, Statistics 1" by Steve Dobbs and Jane Miller
just use the book of Add maths O levels !!! probability will become your favourite topic!!!

Reaction score
^ the particle is projected upwards with a velocity 12m/s. its decelerating. the other particles is released from a height 10m above 0. and it is accelerating.
now you gotta find the time when they meet which we will get by equating suvat equation s=ut+1/2gt^2 = 1/2 gt^2 (for the particle moving down).

12.5t - 1/2 gt^2 + 1/2gt^2 = 10

by solving we will get the time .8 seconds. put this time separately in both particles equations to find the height they have gained at this particular time. now subtract both disaplcements to find the height when they meet. you will get 6.8m.

Reaction score
i think the heights individually gained at any instant equals 10. the sum is 10 if you see their displacement from initial positions which is 0 and add them both.

Reaction score
1)the domain of a function is 1 to 5 inclusive
what is the domain of the corresponding function y=f(x-2)

2)the vertices of a triangle are A(-4,-2), B(4,2) and C(2,6)
if a circle is drawn around this triangle, what are the co-ordinates of the centre
i wan't a small piece of working for this part, no lengthy processes

Reaction score
[Oct/Nov P31 2011]
With respect to the origin O, the points A and B have position vectors given by

OA = i + 2j + 2k and
OB = 3i + 4j. The point P lies on the line AB and OP is perpendicular to AB.

(i) Find a vector equation for the line AB. [1]
(ii) Find the position vector of P.

how do u find the position vector? i dont get the answer.

Reaction score
Xthegreat said:
[Oct/Nov P31 2011]
With respect to the origin O, the points A and B have position vectors given by

OA = i + 2j + 2k and
OB = 3i + 4j. The point P lies on the line AB and OP is perpendicular to AB.

(i) Find a vector equation for the line AB. [1]
(ii) Find the position vector of P.

how do u find the position vector? i dont get the answer.

There could have been a silly mistake in the following solution but this is the method you generally use.

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 190
Reaction score
my anser comes in this way K=9.87......bt ms says K=7.39.....WATS WRONG IN MY WORKING

Attachments

• RYT.PNG
    RYT.PNG
    46.2 KB · Views: 159
Reaction score
Nov 2011 Maths Paper 1

There was a question about finding the volume under a curve w.r.t. the x-axis. First part, I think you've to find the minimum/ maximum point.
I didn't get the paper yet, if anyone has it, please post the question.:)

And can someone please attempt the question?
My answer was 8.5.