• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
HEY CAN ANYONE PLZZZ TELL ME THAT IF THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF GETTING 5S ARE GIVEN THEN IT WILL BE THE PROBABILITY???RIGHT?MAY/JUNE 2011/62 QUESTION NUMBER 1

Reaction score
From a group of ten people,four are to be chosen to serve on a committee.
a)In how many different ways can the committee be chosen?210
b)Among the ten people there is one married couple.Find the probability that both the husband and the wife will be chosen. 2/15
c)Find the probability that the three youngest people will be chosen 1/30

can someone help me with part c) ...i have done a) and b) so no need of explanation :)??????
answers in blue
3 youngest to be chosen means 3C3. Which means there are 7 people left to compete for 1 place. therefore 7C1 = 7.
divide that by the total possible ways (210) to get 1/30

Reaction score
HEY CAN ANYONE PLZZZ TELL ME THAT IF THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF GETTING 5S ARE GIVEN THEN IT WILL BE THE PROBABILITY???RIGHT?MAY/JUNE 2011/62 QUESTION NUMBER 1
Could you make it clear? plus the caps lock is not recommended.

Reaction score
wow all answers are correct.. a big thanks ^^ I'm not in good P & C
wonder how do u study it lol
My pleasure. :)
There are certain tricks in solving P & C questions. The pattern is always given some subjects (people, trees, books, cards, letters etc) and slots (seats, places...), each part of the question introducing some restrictions on some of the subjects (such as which two/three letters must go together). The trick is finding out all the restrictions posed by the question and sort the groups of subjects out from the bearing most strict restrictions to being the freest.
For example, in part (ii), the business people bear the heaviest restriction (only the front seats); then the couples (same row, same side), then the students (window). I did this by allocating seats for the business people first, then the two couples followed by the students. At last I multiply them together to get the answer. This is a very safe and accurate way to solve this kind of problems. ;)

Reaction score
3 youngest to be chosen means 3C3. Which means there are 7 people left to compete for 1 place. therefore 7C1 = 7.
divide that by the total possible ways (210) to get 1/30
still confused sorry could you explain part B as well :oops:

Reaction score
Could you make it clear? plus the caps lock is not recommended.
hey i want to ask u that if the z has a value of say 0.228 whose inverse cannot be found out from the table....thus in this case do we need to do 1-0.228 =0.772 from the value......that is something....???why bt

Reaction score
hey i want to ask u that if the z has a value of say 0.228 whose inverse cannot be found out from the table....thus in this case do we need to do 1-0.228 =0.772 from the value......that is something....???why bt
anyone der??solve my doubt

Reaction score
still confused sorry could you explain part B as well :oops:
in part b. 2 people (couple) have booked their places. so assume 2 people and 2 seats are out .
leaving 2 seats to choose from 8 people. therfore 8C2 = 28. Probability of this will be 28/ALL possible combinations = 28/210 = 2/15

Reaction score
No, I mean why do you have to use decimal values like 50.5... I did (0+100)/2 to give 50.. and ended up with 264 instead of 268 as the answer.
I assume that there cant be 0 students in a school. either way. I take at least 1 in a school. so therfore to find the midpoint (100+1)/2
try doing this way for all the columns. :)

Reaction score
Another question:

In a group of 30 teenagers, 13 of the 18 males watch ‘Kops are Kids’ on television and 3 of the 12 females watch ‘Kops are Kids’.
(i) Find the probability that a person chosen at random from the group is either female or watches ‘Kops are Kids’ or both.

..does not make sense to me. P(F) = 0.4, P(W) = 16/30 and P(F or W) = (0.4 + 16/30).. this comes out to be > 1 which is obviously wrong and I don't understand the MS and even ER properly.

Reaction score
Another question:

In a group of 30 teenagers, 13 of the 18 males watch ‘Kops are Kids’ on television and 3 of the 12 females watch ‘Kops are Kids’.
(i) Find the probability that a person chosen at random from the group is either female or watches ‘Kops are Kids’ or both.

..does not make sense to me. P(F) = 0.4, P(W) = 16/30 and P(F or W) = (0.4 + 16/30).. this comes out to be > 1 which is obviously wrong and I don't understand the MS and even ER properly.
I've had same trouble. I just subtracted P(male who dont watch) from 1 to get 5/6 as the 5/6 means the prob that its a female, any gender who watches and a watching female. Only males who dont watch are left out.

If you find a way through. let me know too :)

Reaction score
how to solve questions like these. plz help

Attachments

• 2012-05-22_22-49_http-www.xtremepapers.com-pa.jpg
    2012-05-22_22-49_http-www.xtremepapers.com-pa.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
I've had same trouble. I just subtracted P(male who dont watch) from 1 to get 5/6 as the 5/6 means the prob that its a female, any gender who watches and a watching female. Only males who dont watch are left out.

If you find a way through. let me know too :)
Hmm.. I just looked through some old notes I had, it said:

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

..which probably applies here because P(F) comes twice I think. Not sure, but I hope questions like these don't come in the paper. :(

Reaction score
guys if i get 74 in p1 , 46 in m1 68 in p3 how much would i need in s1 to get an A* ? the gts are between 33 and 38 in s1 plz tell cuz i feel i wont be able to make it in 40s in s1. Finding nv 10 and 2011 papers too difficult :(