• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
(iii) Notice that f(x) lies between 4-3=1 and 4+3=7 inclusive. Solving for f(x)=k can be interpreted as drawing a horizontal like y=k and finding the number of intersections with the y=f(x) curve. Hence, if no solutions arise, there are no intersections, ie k>7 or k<1.

(iv) A function has an inverse if and only if it is either strictly increasing or decreasing. Try sketching out the graph, you should be able to see that maximum value of A= pi radians, because in between pi/2 and pi radians, the function is strictly increasing. Alternatively, you can find dy/dx= -3 cosx, which is > or equals to zero for the domain defined.

(v) Let y=4-3sinx, then making x the subject gives x= arcsin (4-y)/3
Doing the reflection in the y=x line gives inverse of g to be = arcsin (4-x)/3
Hence, when x=3, g^-1 (3) =arcsin (4-3)/3 =arcsin (1/3).

Hope this helps. Peace.

OMG ! You are great ! Thanks a lot :)

Reaction score
thanks a lot. this constant thingy annoyed me a lot. sometimes they put it and sometimes they don't and i always used to wonder why sometimes they do and sometimes they dont!
lol! Its always there but in limits, they just ignore it! :)

Reaction score
Good afternoon ,
can anyone help me in question 7 part ii & iii may/june 2006
here's the link
it's urgent .
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s06_qp_4.pdf
7 ii) they r moving on a smooth plane so a = g sinθ and the height is 1.6m and the distance moved is d = 2.6t so d = 2.6(2.5) which is 6.5m
now we need to find sinθ which is the height ( opposite ) / hypotenuse which is the distance moved so sinθ = 16/6.5
a = 10( 16/6.5)
a= 2.46 ms/2

7 iii) when q is at the highest point it means its final velocity is equal to zero so..
v = u + at
0 = -1.3 + 2.46t
t = 0.528s

now find the distance moved by particle p by substituting the t = 0.528 in the equation s = ut+ 1/2 at^2

i hope this helped u!

Reaction score
Plz someone help me with this one :(
A line joining a vertex of a triangle to the mid-point of the opposite side is called a median. Find the length of the median AM in the triangle A(-1,1), B(0,3) and C(4,7).

Nd

A line has vertices A(-2,1), B(3,-4) and C(5,7).
(a) Find the coordinates of M, the midpoint of AB, and N midpoint of AC.
(b) Show that MN is parallel to BC

Can someone plz tel me hw to do part (b)

And

The points A(2,1), B(2,7) and C(-4,-1) form a triangle. M is the midpoint of AB and N is the midpoint of AC.
(a) Find the lengths of of MN and BC.
(b) Show that BC=2MN.
Only part (b)

Thnx in advance :)

Reaction score
Taiyaba

Q.1. A line joining a vertex of a triangle to the mid-point of the opposite side is called a median. Find the length of the median AM in the triangle A(-1,1), B(0,3) and C(4,7). The situation depicts M as the midpoint of BC so first find that one. After you have the coordinates of the midpoint, go ahead applying the length/magnitude formula for coordinates of A and M to find te length of the median.

Q.2.A line has vertices A(-2,1), B(3,-4) and C(5,7).
For parallel lines, the gradient is same, that is, m1=m2. So find the gradients of both MN and BC. If they're equal, then you've proven that the lines are parallel.

Q.3.The points A(2,1), B(2,7) and C(-4,-1) form a triangle. M is the midpoint of AB and N is the midpoint of AC.
(b) Show that BC=2MN.
Only part (b)
Find the lengths of both BC and MN using the length formula. The length of BC must be twice that of MN(e.g. if BC is 10, MN is 5).

Reaction score
Taiyaba

Q.1. A line joining a vertex of a triangle to the mid-point of the opposite side is called a median. Find the length of the median AM in the triangle A(-1,1), B(0,3) and C(4,7). The situation depicts M as the midpoint of BC so first find that one. After you have the coordinates of the midpoint, go ahead applying the length/magnitude formula for coordinates of A and M to find te length of the median.

Q.2.A line has vertices A(-2,1), B(3,-4) and C(5,7).
For parallel lines, the gradient is same, that is, m1=m2. So find the gradients of both MN and BC. If they're equal, then you've proven that the lines are parallel.

Q.3.The points A(2,1), B(2,7) and C(-4,-1) form a triangle. M is the midpoint of AB and N is the midpoint of AC.
(b) Show that BC=2MN.
Only part (b)
Find the lengths of both BC and MN using the length formula. The length of BC must be twice that of MN(e.g. if BC is 10, MN is 5).
Thnk u thnk u thnk u sooooooo mch :D :p