• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Oct/Nov 2009 Q8
The first term of an arithmetic progression is 8 and the common difference is d, where d is not equals to 0. The first term, the fifth tern and the eight term of this arithmetic progression are the first term, the second term and the third term, respectively, of a geometric progression whose common ratio is r.
(i) write down two equations connecting d and r. Hence show that r = 3/4 and find the value of d. [6]

Reaction score
Oct/Nov 2009 Q8
The first term of an arithmetic progression is 8 and the common difference is d, where d is not equals to 0. The first term, the fifth tern and the eight term of this arithmetic progression are the first term, the second term and the third term, respectively, of a geometric progression whose common ratio is r.
(i) write down two equations connecting d and r. Hence show that r = 3/4 and find the value of d. [6]
u need help in this question or what..?

Reaction score
Oct/Nov 2009 Q8
Here are the answers bro :)
Hope it helps.
(And srry for the handwriting! :p)

Attachments

• 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 142.jpg
    142.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
a stone is dropped from the top of a building of a hight 20m. Find the time it takes to reach the ground and the velocity with which it hit's the ground.

can Any1 , help in this question? :(

Reaction score
a stone is dropped from the top of a building of a hight 20m. Find the time it takes to reach the ground and the velocity with which it hit's the ground.

a=10
u=0 ( dropped ---> initial velocity is = 0 )
s=20 cm
t=?

Okay . . you have a and u and s and you r searching for t , so u will use s=ut+1/2 atsquare .
20=1/2 10 tsquare .
So by solving it :
t=2 .
Now you need velocity : final velocity , you have a , u and s and you want v , so u will use : vsquare = usquare +2as
vsquare=(0)square +2x10x20
so v= 20
Hope you understood it :)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I really need help with question 5 of the following paper:

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w10_qp_13.pdf

I've looked at the answers and still couldn't figure it out :/ Both parts please, any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks in advance.
for 5 (i)... differentiate the given equation and dy/dx= -1(x-3)^-2 + 1 and d^2y/dx^2 = 2(x-3)^-3

for 5(ii) we need to find the x coordinates for both the stationary A and B and uk that dy/dx represents the gradient of the curve and for any stationary point the gradient is equal to 0 so,

0 = -1(x-3)^-2 + 1
x = ±1 + 3
x = 4
x = 2

now we should find if either x=4 is a minimum point or x = 4 is a maximum point and same goes to x=2 and we do that by using the second derivative

the value of d^2y/dx^2 at x = 4 is bigger than zero which means it is a minimum point and at x = 2 the value of d^2y/dx^2 is smaller than zero which means at x=2 the point is maximum

so A is ( 2, 0 ) and B is ( 4, 5 ) i hope u got it !!

Reaction score
I think i may have found a mistake in the mark scheme.

Question 3 on Oct/Nov 2010 Qp 12

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w10_qp_12.pdf

The mark scheme doesn't multiply the dx/dt by the power of the bracket.

Link to mark scheme:

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w10_ms_12.pdf

I need help on this ASAP.

EDIT: Guys i need help with this ASAP, exam's tommorow.

iKhaled
hussamh10
minato112
nightrider1993