• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
sorry that was lame.

here

( 4 - (2^x))= -10
2^x = 14
x= ln 14 divided by ln 2

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s09_qp_1.pdf
No. 10 (ii)

This question seems easy.. how do you find the value of A? Please help
An explanation will be appreciated..

Salvatore, for the first part you have completed the square and got answer in this form : 2 ( x -3 ) ^ 2 - 5

So this mean that we have a minimum point when x = 3. The line x=3 acts as a line of symmetry for the quadratic curve. That is a turning point at the point x=3, now since x is greater or equal to zero, this would mean that A should be 6.

If i could have provided you with a sketch or a video, you would have better understood. Hope it help though.

Reaction score
Salvatore, for the first part you have completed the square and got answer in this form : 2 ( x -3 ) ^ 2 - 5

So this mean that we have a minimum point when x = 3. The line x=3 acts as a line of symmetry for the quadratic curve. That is a turning point at the point x=3, now since x is greater or equal to zero, this would mean that A should be 6.

If i could have provided you with a sketch or a video, you would have better understood. Hope it help though.
Thank you for your reply..

I understand that the line x=3 acts as a line of symmetry since it is the turning point.. but I don't get why A is 6 (If x >= 0). Could you please explain that?

Along with the above, I also need help in qn 10 (v) and 11 (iii).. please please help me solve the questions with some explanation.
I'll really appreciate if you could do that for me.

Thanks a lot
Waiting for your reply..

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply..

I understand that the line x=3 acts as a line of symmetry since it is the turning point.. but I don't get why A is 6 (If x >= 0). Could you please explain that?

Along with the above, I also need help in qn 10 (v) and 11 (iii).. please please help me solve the questions with some explanation.
I'll really appreciate if you could do that for me.

Thanks a lot
Waiting for your reply..

Try to list down the values in a table

x 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

y 13 3 -3 -5 -3 3 13
[Line of Symmetry]

Can you visualise it...?

10 (iv) it has an inverse because it is 1-1

10 (v) Let g(x) = y
we should take the completed form so that x is able to be made subject of formula

2 ( x - 3 ) ^ 2 - 5 = y

2 ( x - 3 ) ^ 2 = y + 5

( x - 3 ) ^ 2 = ( (y+5) / 2 )

( x - 3 ) = PlusMinus Square Root of ( (y+5) / 2 )

x = 3 PlusMinus Square Root of ( (y+5) / 2 )

Now we have to choose either the plus sign or the minus sign. Since the domain is greater than 4 we choose the "plus" sign.

Hence g inverse of x = 3 + ( ( x + 5 ) /2 ) ^ (1/2)

Reaction score
Ok so taking A B C D as an example, what will be the combination taking three ata time?

Combination would be 4 C 3 = 4

Listing : A B C or A C D or A B D or B C D

While if we had to permute, or question was in how many ways can three letters of the word " BACD" can be arranged, the answer would be 4 P 3 ( permutating 3 from 4 ) = 24

Listing

A B C or A C D or A B D or B C D and all these ; each have 3! ways of writing them i.e 4 * 3 ! = 24