• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
You can also draw the same shape as shown in the image attached. Then use cosine rule and sine rule to find the angles x and y. Use 2x and 2y to calculate arc lengths and accordingly the perimeter.

8C4 * 8C4 = 4900 (I think. Permutations and combination questions are really confusing.)

dx/dt is directly proportional to (100-x)
dx/dt = k(100-x)
Substitute the given values and find k.
1.9/100-5 = k
k = 0.02

Do you need help with the rest of the question as well?
Thank you. :) I've done the rest of the question.

Reaction score
You can also draw the same shape as shown in the image attached. Then use cosine rule and sine rule to find the angles x and y. Use 2x and 2y to calculate arc lengths and accordingly the perimeter.

i did that and the final result was 51.2 while the textbook's final answer is 85.6 , either your method is wrong or i didn't implement it correctly (see attachment) or the textbook is wrong which has plenty of errors

Attachments

• 2014-01-17 21.49.10.jpg
    2014-01-17 21.49.10.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
i did that and the final result was 51.2 while the textbook's final answer is 85.6 , either your method is wrong or i didn't implement it correctly (see attachment) or the textbook is wrong which has plenty of errors
The text book is right and my method is right as well. Your implementation was correct till finding the arc lengths but you calculated the perimeter wrongly. The actual perimeter of the shape means the outer arcs of both the circles combined. The outer arc is calculated as follows: Circumference - inner arc. Find the outer arcs of both the circles and add them. The answer is 85.6.

Reaction score
i m not getting answer.................... :(
Put y = o in the given equation and you'll find the value of co-ordinates of A.

And the m for the equation can simply be derived by making it equal to y = mx + c.
From here you can find the value of m which is 1/2 so the m for perpendicular would be -2

you've the value of m and now you can make an equation in terms of x and y
(y+3) =-2(x -10)
y+3 = -2x +20
y=2x +17

Equate it in the first equation and you'll get the co-ordinates of B.
Now apply the mid-point formula because the distance between AB and BC is equal, you'll get the co-ordinates of point C.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Put y = o in the given equation and you'll find the value of co-ordinates of A.

And the m for the equation can simply be derived by making it equal to y = mx + c.
From here you can find the value of m which is -1/2 so the m for perpendicular would be 2

you've the value of m and now you can make an equation in terms of x and y
(y+3) =2(x -10)
y+3 = 2x -20
y=2x -23

Equate it in the first equation and you'll get the co-ordinates of B.
Now apply the mid-point formula because the distance between AB and BC is equal, you'll get the co-ordinates of point C.
M=1/2.. You have mistakenly put '-' sign there...

Reaction score
upload_2014-1-12_12-1-34-png.34407

can someone do pat ( ii) ?
marking scheme gave :
(12 + 8) × 0.6sin30 = F(0.6 + 0.6cos30)
F = 5.36
all i know is they used moments about A , and nothing else!