• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Asad Moosvi
They have told us that no sliding takes place between the two blocks. Thus ma must not be greater than the frictional force between the blocks. Note: No force is being applied on block A itself, however when b accelerates, it would accelerate too, and there would be a force on it.
2000*.2
Thus, the force must be
200a <= 2000*.2
a < = 2
This means that if the blocks accelerate more than 2m/s^2, block A will slide
Maximum possible value of P would be when block b has acceleration of 2m/s^2

P - 4500*.7 = 450 *2

Reaction score
After staring at the question for about an hour I finally understood the first part...but in the second part they're assuming that the vertical component of the tention is pulling upward even though the tention is pointing toward the ring and its vertical conponent is hence supposed to point downward :S
Can you please tell me why don't we take the weight of the ring into considerations while resolving forces vertically?

Reaction score
Can you please tell me why don't we take the weight of the ring into considerations while resolving forces vertically?
It doesn't exert a force ON the string. Think about it in a practical situation. The ring and the rod are just support points...their weights don't affect the tention in the string. The forces exerted by he ring, however, do action the rod

Reaction score
Snowysangel and kitkat <3 :P

yeaahhh me too!! one of my forces is 5.2N and the other is 6.4 N

I considered the weight of the ring too ....
and i dont think the ring is fixed....

even if so.... how come one of my forcess is accurate while the other isn't?! >_< even thought i used one (THE APPARENTLY WRONG ONE) to calculate the other one (WHICH CAME OUT TO BE CORRECT)

cud it be that the ms is wrong?? has anyone seen if the er has anything to say about this?

Reaction score
It doesn't exert a force ON the string. Think about it in a practical situation. The ring and the rod are just support points...their weights don't affect the tention in the string. The forces exerted by he ring, however, do action the rod

i'm not even able to do the first part :cry:

Reaction score
Lol mark two angles within the triangle, alpha and beta. Alpha is between the hypotenuse (2.5 m) and C and beta is between the hypotenuse and A. Solving the vertical and horizontal components, Tc x cos(alpha) + Ta x cos(beta) = 8 and Tc x sin(alpha) = Ta x sin (beta)...do you get it now?
No

Reaction score
Snowysangel and kitkat <3 :P

yeaahhh me too!! one of my forces is 5.2N and the other is 6.4 N

I considered the weight of the ring too ....
and i dont think the ring is fixed....

even if so.... how come one of my forcess is accurate while the other isn't?! >_< even thought i used one (THE APPARENTLY WRONG ONE) to calculate the other one (WHICH CAME OUT TO BE CORRECT)

cud it be that the ms is wrong?? has anyone seen if the er has anything to say about this?
As long as you apply logic and it make sense, your answer will always be correct...you probably did something wring with the other one. I mean its fit the same reason that trial and error gives you the correct answer

Reaction score
Lol mark two angles within the triangle, alpha and beta. Alpha is between the hypotenuse (2.5 m) and C and beta is between the hypotenuse and A. Solving the vertical and horizontal components, Tc x cos(alpha) + Ta x cos(beta) = 8 and Tc x sin(alpha) = Ta x sin (beta)...do you get it now?
cos alpha=2/2.5
cos beta = 1.5/2.5 right?

Reaction score
upload_2014-5-12_18-59-4.png

i didnt get wat u just said about trial and error... where are we using trial and error here??? :eek:

and Why in the HELLO r we using u=F/N
what is THAT?! >__< i swear i dont know wat i;m gonna do in the paper tomorrow!! :O

Reaction score
cos alpha=2/2.5
cos beta = 1.5/2.5 right?
okay u got it... now explain it to me....

i used the whole method like finding the angle BAC then subtracting that from 90 to get the acute angle @A ... u know the one on the outer siide..
then the same whole method with the other one..

i'll try and show u wat i did...

Reaction score
okay u got it... now explain it to me....

i used the whole method like finding the angle BAC then subtracting that from 90 to get the acute angle @A ... u know the one on the outer siide..
then the same whole method with the other one..

i'll try and show u wat i did...

i didnt find the angles i just found out the ratios :p like if m considering angle alpha so cos alpha=Base/hypotenuse = 2/2.5 for hypotenuse apply pythagorus