• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Suchal Riaz yeah u can do it now.. i thought maybe u had chemistry paper so i said that u cud do it after that...

i'll be waiting... thanks a lot for ur help man!
this is the one concept in the pulleys topic that is not going that well for me... :/
daredevil
my best attempt at explaining. please ask me if you have any queries. make sure you understand everything.
Scan%2012-May-2014%2014.25-page1.jpg

Reaction score

F=ma
Forward force - backward force = ma

-> backward force = resistance = Reaction (coefficient of friction) and reaction=weight

WSin14 - 0.02W = ma

-> W=mg

mgSin14 - 0.02mg = ma
take m common and cancel from both sides:

10(Sin14) - 0.2 = a
a=2.219 ms^-2

2as = v^2 - u^2
2(2.219)(50) = v^2 - (8)^2
v = 16.9 ms^-1

Reaction score
F=ma
Forward force - backward force = ma

-> backward force = resistance = Reaction (coefficient of friction) and reaction=weight

WSin14 - 0.02W = ma

-> W=mg

mgSin14 - 0.02mg = ma
take m common and cancel from both sides:

10(Sin14) - 0.2 = a
a=2.219 ms^-2

2as = v^2 - u^2
2(2.219)(50) = v^2 - (8)^2
v = 16.9 ms^-1
No according to the ms, 'w' is the vertical component of acceleration due to free fall...can that happen...can friction = u x g(cos a)? Why cause g(cos a) isn't the normal reaction :S

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have seen equations like F<uR and so on without the traditional F=uR equations. Can anyone please explain to me the conditions for all inequality equations involving uR?:)

Reaction score
I have seen equations like F<uR and so on without the traditional F=uR equations. Can anyone please explain to me the conditions for all inequality equations involving uR?:)
They usually require a bit of logic. E-g sometimes the question says that the block is stationary instead of limiting equlibrium. Thus if the block is not moving, the resistance could be equal to or much greater than the force trying to budge it. Thus we will use >=
Another such condition is usually involved in newton's second law. E-g F - uR would be > 0 if the object is accelerating and so on.
However there could be countless possibilities for such questions. Just try to get the hang of these questions, as they can be quite tricky

Reaction score
They usually require a bit of logic. E-g sometimes the question says that the block is in equilibrium instead of limiting equlibrium. Thus if the block is not moving, the resistance could be equal to or much greater than the force trying to budge it. Thus we will use >=
Another such condition is usually involved in newton's second law. E-g F - uR would be > 0 if the object is accelerating and so on.
However there could be countless possibilities for such questions. Just try to get the hang of these questions, as they can be quite tricky
Oops i meant that the block is not moving.... not in equlibrium. I am editing it

Reaction score
lol m stuck on the same question :p
After staring at the question for about an hour I finally understood the first part...but in the second part they're assuming that the vertical component of the tention is pulling upward even though the tention is pointing toward the ring and its vertical conponent is hence supposed to point downward :S