• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Why doesn't chain rule work during integration or differentiation when the bracket is to the power of 2?

Reaction score
A car of mass 1100 kg starts from rest at O and travels along a road OAB. The section OA is straight,
of length 1760 m, and inclined to the horizontal with A at a height of 160m above the level of O. The
section AB is straight and horizontal (see diagram). While the car is moving the driving force of the
car is 1800N and the resistance to the car’s motion is 700 N. The speed of the car is v ms−1 when the
car has travelled a distance of x m from O.

(i) For the car’s motion from O to A, write down its increase in kinetic energy in terms of v and
its increase in potential energy in terms of x.

Increase in Potential Energy = 1000x . How ??

There you go bro :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
Reaction score
Oh! But I prefer expanding the bracket :p

upload_2015-5-6_0-7-40.png
Yeah but then how come it doesn't work with chain rule... :/
See if you substitute x=16, the numerator becomes 0, so the whole thing just gives 0 .... thats wrong... have i integrated wrong?

Reaction score
View attachment 53119
Yeah but then how come it doesn't work with chain rule... :/
See if you substitute x=16, the numerator becomes 0, so the whole thing just gives 0 .... thats wrong... have i integrated wrong?
U need to first square the equation given
if y=4x +2
so it becomes y^2=16x^2+16x+4
Now you'll integrate it :)