• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
well if ur asking from me............i am not giving the paper of stats ... AS maths + stats in 2012 june........

NEED HELP IN PERMUTATIONS AND COMBINATIONS!!!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum!!

For permutations and combinations watch this whole series of the tutorial, and you're good to go! ;) http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/maths-re ... rial-1.php

I see people finding permutations and combinations hard, but honestly i enjoy it a lot..

And one more thing, (you may understand this better may be after you've gone through the topic, but anyways)
to make out when you have to use permutation (nPr of the calculator) and when to use combinations (nCr) , checck if the different arrangements of the selections will make any difference or not...if it does then you've to use nPr, and if it doesn't then u must use nCr.

Eg. lets say I want to choose two numbers from a total of three..how many possible selections are there?

now see i may choose 1 2 ; 1 3 ; 2 3
now the no. i've chosen can be written as 2 1 ; 3 1 ; 3 2

and obviously, this is giving me different numbers, so here arrangement does matter..so go for nPr => 3P2 = 6

but say if i got to chose 2 people from a total of 3 (A, B and C)

so possibilities are A B ; A C ; B/ C
and if i make this as B A ; C A ; C B
it doesn't make any difference as in the end there are the same people whether A first or B first....so that means arrangement does not matter...we'll use nCr => 3C2 = 3

P.S. These were pretty simple examples, I used them to explain the concept...you'll find this part of my explanation helpful when later on you tackle some more harder situations...this part really makes this thing easy...it did for me ;)

Reaction score
ching293 said:
mrpaudel said:
ching293 said:
anyone please help :)

the first inequality is the inequality for the " perpendicular bisector of line joining (0,0) and (2,0)......whereas the 2nd inequality is for the " straight line starting from u making angle of pi/4 with the horizontal....!! now shade the common part..!!

the angle at point u looks like a or b?

I hope this will help...!! but a bit messy...sorry for that..!!

Attachments

• P3 COmplex 001.jpg
    P3 COmplex 001.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
part 2 question... please help and i wanna know how to separate tan 4X??

Attachments

• 9709_s11_qp_313.png
    9709_s11_qp_313.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 115
Reaction score
m lazy one..so wrote it in degree...u have to write it in radian from the very first...!! i think u know it....anyways..!! i hope it helped..!!