• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Using product rule which states that ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab) .So ln(e) + ln(x^2) becomes ln(ex^2). Hope you understand!

Reaction score
sea_princess said:
can someone help me with these questions:
1-Three letters are selected at random from the word SCHOOL.Find the probablity that the selection:
a)does not contain the letter O
b)contains both letters O

2-In how many different ways can a football team of 11 players be photographed if there are to be two rows ,with 5 seated on the front row and 6 standing in the back row?In how many of these photographswould the captain be sitting in the centre of the front row?
thanx in adavnce

Attachments

• solution 1.jpg
    solution 1.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
saimaiftikhar92 said:
SOVLE THE FOLLOEING EQUATION AND GIVE YOUR ANSWER TO 3 SIGNIFICANT FIGURES:

5^2X-1=2(3^X)

Can you give the link of this question. I used iteration to solve this.

Attachments

• solution 3.jpg
    solution 3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
saimaiftikhar92 said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/index.php?dir=International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/&file=9709_s11_qp_33.pdf

IN HERE IT IS QUESTION NO 1

AND SECONDLY YOU HAVE TAKEN AS THE POWER OF 2X ONLY BEFORE EQUAL SIGN......INTSTEAD OF 5^2X-1

AND I THINK THE ANSWER IS NOT CORRECT!!!

sorry but you should have put the parenthesis in the question. the solution is here.

Attachments

• solution 4.jpg
    solution 4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
saimaiftikhar92 said:
THANKYOU......... I NEED HELP IN THIS ONE AS WELL:

(O.8)^X IS LESS THAN 0.5
the solution is here. when lg is applied on inequality and the value is less than 1 it cause flipping of the inequality sign. that is because log of numbers less than 1 is negative and hence it has the same effect on inequality as multiplying both sides by a negative number.

Attachments

• solution 5.jpg
    solution 5.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
talhajohar said:
sea_princess said:
1-Three letters are selected at random from the word SCHOOL.Find the probablity that the selection:

2-In how many different ways can a football team of 11 players be photographed if there are to be two rows ,with 5 seated on the front row and 6 standing in the back row?In how many of these photographswould the captain be sitting in the centre of the front row?
thanx in adavnce

i dont understand the answer to the part 2 ? i mean the checking you did ............

Reaction score
I HAVE POSTED SOME QUESTIONS ON ACCOUNTING FORUM ..... IF ANYONE OF YOU KNOWS THEN KINDLY HELP ME IN IT SINCE I HAVE MOCK TOMORROW

Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
talhajohar said:
sea_princess said:

thanx in adavnce

i dont understand the answer to the part 2 ? i mean the checking you did ............
I did 11C6 to get the number of combinations with which 6 of the players are chosen for the back row. The rest are obviously going to sit in front so no need to 11C5. Then for finding total number of arrangements in the back row i found 6! and for the front row likewise found 5!. And then got their product. As the number of unique positions are 11 so 11! would give us the result. Dividing one row of 11 into two of 6 and 5 does not make a difference as the number on unique positions still remain 11.

Reaction score
ZorroDelavega said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20O%20Levels/4024%20-%20Mathematics/4024_s02_qp_2.pdf
need a marking scheme plz anyone :unknown:
Hi! Welcome here! :)
You are inquiring about an O'level exam paper whereas this is a sub-forum for 'International A and AS level'. You may post your queries here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5585&start=650 .Secondly, the mark scheme for this paper is unfortunately unavailable.

Reaction score
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THIS ONE:

THE EQUATION OF THE CURVE IS 6X^2 - X^3. FIND THE COORDINATES OF THE TWO STATIONARY POINTS ON THE CURVE, AND DETERMINE THE NATURE OF THESE STATIONARY POINTS.
SECONDLY, STATE THE SET OF VALUES OF X FOR WHICH 6X^2 - X^3 IS A DECREASING FUNCTION OF X.
THIRDLY, THE GRADIENT AT THE POINT M ON THE CURVE IS 12 . FIND THE EQUATION OF THE TANGENT TO THE CURVE AT M.

Reaction score
saimaiftikhar92 said:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THIS ONE:

THE EQUATION OF THE CURVE IS 6X^2 - X^3. FIND THE COORDINATES OF THE TWO STATIONARY POINTS ON THE CURVE, AND DETERMINE THE NATURE OF THESE STATIONARY POINTS.
SECONDLY, STATE THE SET OF VALUES OF X FOR WHICH 6X^2 - X^3 IS A DECREASING FUNCTION OF X.
THIRDLY, THE GRADIENT AT THE POINT M ON THE CURVE IS 12 . FIND THE EQUATION OF THE TANGENT TO THE CURVE AT M.

i) stationary point is where the derivative is zero.
dy/dx = 12x - 3x^2 = 0
x (12 - 3x) = 0
x = 0 12 - 3x = 0
x = 0 x = 4
y = 6x^2 - x^3
at x = 0, y = 0
at x = 4, y = 32
coordinates are (0,0) and (4,32)

nature is determined by double derivative.
d^2y / dx^2 = 12 - 6x
12 - 6 (0) = 12
12 - 6 (4) = -12
1 is min n 1 is max

ii) i dun knw this part sorry

iii) 12x - 3x^2 = 12
3x^2 - 12x + 12 = 0
x = 2
y = 0
y - y1 = m (x - x1)
y - 0 = 12 (x - 2)
y = 12x - 24