• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Yo can someone plz help me with this question ( show steps ty):
solve the equation : 2 sin^2(x) -cos x - cos^2(x) 0<x<360

Reaction score
ty a lot but i missed the question...the question is same expect with the addition of a sin x at the cos x place..its like : 2 sin^2(x) - sin x cos x - cos^2(x) 0<x<360
srry again but i got a lil question..in ur answer uve sent me for the 2 sin^2(x) - cos x - cos^2(x)..uve write cos inverse of 1 is equal to 48.2 ( by sending cos inverse on the other side and 131.8 on the other side..it gives u cos inverse of 1 as 48.2...my calculator give me for cos inverse of 1...0 ..ive done something wrong? again thanks for the fast answer

Reaction score
ty a lot but i missed the question...the question is same expect with the addition of a sin x at the cos x place..its like : 2 sin^2(x) - sin x cos x - cos^2(x) 0<x<360
srry again but i got a lil question..in ur answer uve sent me for the 2 sin^2(x) - cos x - cos^2(x)..uve write cos inverse of 1 is equal to 48.2 ( by sending cos inverse on the other side and 131.8 on the other side..it gives u cos inverse of 1 as 48.2...my calculator give me for cos inverse of 1...0 ..ive done something wrong? again thanks for the fast answer

Oh yea srry I took cos inverse of (2/3) instead of cos inverse of 1. Urs is fine. :)

Reaction score
Anyone taking Maths AS in november? please help i wanna what level are u upto... exam in 20 days :C and im late in past papers but il catch up by this week....GoD! studying in vacations is damn hard :-/

Reaction score
ok ty..iam looking forward to the other one ( 2 sin^2(x) - sin x cos x - cos^2(x) 0<x<360 ) ty in advance :)
Well srry for l8 rep., was busy yesterD.

=> 2 sin^2(x) - sin x cos x - cos^2(x) = 0
=> (Divide by cos^2 (x) everywhere) => 2 tan^2 (x) - tan x - 1 = 0
=> (2 tan x + 1) (tan x - 1) = 0
=> tan x = (-1/2) or tan x = 1

tan x = (-1/2) :

x = 180 + [*tan inverse* (1/2) ] = 206.6
or x = 360 + [*tan inverse* (1/2) ] = 333.4

tan x = 1 :

x = *tan inverse* (1) = 45
or x = 180 + [*tan inverse* (1) ] = 225

Hope It helps.

Reaction score
A question from statistics 2 chapter:-sampling in statistics 2

can sum1 plzz show me the steps!!and is Continuity correction required?
minato112
whitecorp
leadingguy
leosco1995
nightrider1993
smzimran

5. The masses of kilogram bags of flour produced in a factory have a normal distribution
with mean 1.005 kg and standard deviation 0.0082 kg. A shelf in a store is loaded with
22 of these bags, assumed to be random sample.
(a) Find the probability that a randomly chosen bags has mass less than 1 kg.
(b) Find the probability that the mean mass of the 22 bags is less than 1 kg
State, giving a reason, which of the above answers would be little changed if the
distribution of masses were not normal.

Reaction score
assalamu 3alaikom guys, iam going to sit for my AS exam in oct/nov 2012 Mathematics (P1,M1) and seems that every thing is going great el7amdolilah, but iam just having trouble in trying to calculate the surface area or the volume of a figure , for example when a question comes asking abt to show that A= blah blah :p. and that find h in terms of r, for example , and then a diffrentiation question , the diff question is easy but the hardest thing for me is to find the SA so please help me! iam going to sit for my exam soon. Can u till me any tip for how to prepare for the math AS , P.S. i do solve PP's

Reaction score
A question from statistics 2 chapter:-sampling in statistics 2

can sum1 plzz show me the steps!!and is Continuity correction required?
minato112
whitecorp
leadingguy
leosco1995
nightrider1993
smzimran

5. The masses of kilogram bags of flour produced in a factory have a normal distribution
with mean 1.005 kg and standard deviation 0.0082 kg. A shelf in a store is loaded with
22 of these bags, assumed to be random sample.
(a) Find the probability that a randomly chosen bags has mass less than 1 kg.
(b) Find the probability that the mean mass of the 22 bags is less than 1 kg
State, giving a reason, which of the above answers would be little changed if the
distribution of masses were not normal.
Anyone reply plzzzzzz need it urgently

Reaction score
Well srry for l8 rep., was busy yesterD.

=> 2 sin^2(x) - sin x cos x - cos^2(x) = 0
=> (Divide by cos^2 (x) everywhere) => 2 tan^2 (x) - tan x - 1 = 0
=> (2 tan x + 1) (tan x - 1) = 0
=> tan x = (-1/2) or tan x = 1

tan x = (-1/2) :

x = 180 + [*tan inverse* (1/2) ] = 206.6
or x = 360 + [*tan inverse* (1/2) ] = 333.4

tan x = 1 :

x = *tan inverse* (1) = 45
or x = 180 + [*tan inverse* (1) ] = 225

Hope It helps.
ty very much for the reply late or not :) much appreciated