• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Umm, okay, sure, but can you list your priorities? Like those are so many..
start from the first one... do it at ur pace. no hurry. but if possible before the exam? only if u're good with it?
Jazak Allah Khair! Thanks so much!
Cheers!

Reaction score
i) 7!/2!
ii) consider 1 3 and 7 to be in a box and consider that box to be one dash
_ * 7 *6*5*4*3*2*1

number if dashes 8 and inside the box 3!
so 8!*3! /2! because 2 comes twice thats y we divide

iii) that means they wud end at 2,2,6,8
6! *4 /2!
what i didnt get was why we divided by 2! in part, formula or something i m missing?

Reaction score
AlishaK
First paper.
1) Normal distribution (because this is continuous variable, not discrete)
The mean weight, and variance. (Since X ~ N(mean, variance) )
Suggestion
Weight, 60
Variance, I dont know how to suggest a variance, but I would say 100.

4) (i) Mean, 63.5
Because, you first take the mean of the value given, 245/70 = 3.5 ; you then add 60 (because it was subtracted, don't subtract before dividing)

(ii) 945,
We know know that the mean of E(x-60) is 3.5
Now to get mean of E(x-50) we ad 10 getting 13.5
Then to E(x-50) we multiply with 70, getting 945

(iii)http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...d AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_y13_sy.pdf
Check the syllabus in link above and go down to Statistics formulas

You will find this formula
z.PNG

therefore
10.6 = √E(x^2) /n - x`^2
E(x^2) = n(10.6^2 + x`^2 )
n=70
so,
70 (10.6^2 + 13.5^2) [P.S. we calculated mean is 13.5 above]
=20623

This for now, will continue later, In Sha Allah.

Reaction score
Q)Find the tangent of the angle b/w the line "7y=x+2" and "x+y=3"

i got the answer
find the grad of 7y=x+2 which is 1/7
find the grad of "x+y=3" which is -1
then we need to do tan(A-B) = tan [(1/7)-(-1)] = [(1/7)-(-1)]/[1+((1/7)*1)] = 4/3

Reaction score
I got the diameter and radius... I was wondering how would we find out the mid- point and I just understood!! We had to use the coordinate geometry formula for mid-point of the two points! Can't believe I didn't think of that before ! Thank you soo much. May Allah bless you and grant you success in this life and in the Hereafter :)
thanx for the prayers.. :)

Reaction score
what i didnt get was why we divided by 2! in part, formula or something i m missing?
because 2 comes twice thats y we divide

if we have to find the number of ways in which the word book can be arranged for example it will be 4!/2!
because o comes two times yea?
if for example there is a bag in which there are 3 red balls and 4 blue ones...
then it will be 7! / (4!*3!) because blue gets repeated 4 times and red 3 times... get it? tell me if u dun :)

Reaction score
AlishaK

6) (i) 14P12 = 4.36 x10^10 [P.S, use calculator]
See, there are 14 places, and thus we permutate 12. (This is more like a rule)

(ii) Here I got stuck, but Alhamdulilah, I found littlecloud11 post, below.
View attachment 25598

The students cannot take the window seats in the first row because the 3 business people have to be seated there. Each married couple must be seated in a different row, but they have to be on the same side of the isle. So one of the couples have to take two window seats so that both couples are in different rows. So you see, only 5 window seats remain, and the students have to take these 5 seats in any order. So it's 5! and not 9P5.
(iii)I got stuck again, but Alhamdulilah found this post below
I know what you mean, the question is worded quite awkwardly so don't blame yourself for not getting it.
Its basically asking you to take the total number of way for the passengers to be seated, and since it uses the word and you then multiply those ways and divide them by the result in part (i).
Hence, there being 3 front row seats for Mrs. Brown --> 3P1.... For Mrs. Lin, she must sit behind a student, and for her to do so she cannot be in the front and since there are 10 seats available for this to be true --> 10P1.... now for the STUDENTS, Mrs. Lin must be behind 1 student, which means this student must be infront of her, which leads to only 1 possibility for that student to be seated. BUT we do not know which student this is, since there are 5 students and we need to choose 1, we do ------> 5P1 =5.

Hope this helps
Now, the only this left is, 9 people are left, (12- (Mrs Lin + a student + Mrs Brown))
And 11 seats left (14 - 3)
so x 11P9
and divided by total number of permutation the answer we got at (i)

Later, will continue In Sha Allah.

Reaction score
Hi can someone please explain q8 (i) and i(i), q9 (ii) only and q10 (ii) 0nly.. thanks :D
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w12_qp_32.pdf
for question 9(ii)

u have the found 2 roots = 1-√2i and 1+√2i
so the 2 factors of the polynomial that has been found are (u-(1-√2i)) and (u-(1+√2i)) if u multiply these factors together u will get a quadratic equation of u^2-2u+3 now u have the polynomial equation as u^4 + u^2 + 2u + 6....u or x it doesnt matter they are all letters after all :p anyway apply long division or whatever way u have learnt to find the other quadratic equation..then from that other equation u will find the other 2 roots then boom u have 4 roots found ;)

Reaction score
i had some ambiguity in below quest:
1) P(Z>a)=0.8888 , a is negativ,
1-fi(-a)=o.8888
1-[1-fi(a) ]=o.8888
the other solution of quest i found:

2)p(z<t)=0.25, t is negativ
fi(-t)=0.25
1-fi(t)=0.25..
can anyone tell me this difference and concept how to solve such type of quest plzzz:(:(

Reaction score
1-fi(-a)=o.8888
1-[1-fi(a) ]=o.8888

fi(-t)=0.25
1-fi(t)=0.25..
can anyone tell me this difference and concept how to solve such type of quest plzzz:(:(

Reaction score
1-fi(-a)=o.8888
1-[1-fi(a) ]=o.8888

fi(-t)=0.25
1-fi(t)=0.25..