• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
not by me
d/dx[(1 - x)/(1 + x)] = [(-(1 + x) - (1 - x))/(1 + x)²] using quotient rule for differentiation

= -2/(1 + x)²

Now y = √[(1 - x)/(1 + x)] = [(1 - x)/(1 + x)]^(½)

∴ dy/dx = (½)[(1 - x)/(1 + x)]^(-½)*(-2/(1 + x)²) using the chain rule for differentiation

dy/dx = -1/[(1 + x)^(3/2)√(1 - x)] or -1/[(1 + x)(√(1 - x²)] [using (1 + x)(1 - x) = (1 - x²) inside square root after splitting up (1 + x)^(3/2) into (1 + x)√(1 + x)]

dy/dx is the gradient of the tangent at the point (x, y) and since the normal is perpendicular to the tangent, its gradient will be the negative reciprocal of dy/dx (i.e. product of gradients = -1)

So gradient of normal will be (1 + x)√(1 - x²)

Reaction score
Reaction score
Guys please tell me anything that can help with complex numbers its sooo tough especially the arg of z least or greatest and how to find the hypotenuse please :( jazak Allah khair.

Reaction score
Salaam. Can someone please explain the part 2 of thisquestion, I've been stuck here for a long time :(

upload_2014-5-15_14-50-49.png

upload_2014-5-15_14-51-4.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
m2 Question on projectiles.

In a game of cricket, a batsman strikes the ball at a height of 1 meter. It passes over a fielder 7 meters from the bat at a height of 3 meters, and hits the ground 60 meters from the bat. How fast was the ball hit?

I tried solving this question using the equation of trajectory, but I have neither u nor θ
Because of the same reason i couldn't solve using other equations.
Any idea's
THX

Reaction score
the one that is quoted in his question
the equationi formed in the first part is
y=e^15(e^(-2t))+ln70)
now we know the inital mass is 70 so
p=(the long equation quoted above/70)*100
as t==> infinity p==> 1 :) there u go
How do we get 100/e ? (ans)