• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Okay forget modulus.
We wanna find the area of triangle, so we'll take AC as base. To find the distance AC, we can use the distance formula (from coordinate geometry) or simply think about it. The line is vertical, so we just need to find the difference in i components of A and C. You'll get 2*sqrt(2).

For the height part, we just measure the horizontal distance between B and A, which is simply the difference in x coordinates of them, or the difference in real part of the numbers. That gives you 5*sqrt(2). Hope that's clear.

Edit: since you know all the coordinates, you can also use the Shoelace Formula for finding its area.

So for y coordinates is it important to mention iota? Thanks a lot btw, got the rest.
View attachment 60023
Maybe spoiler buttons are getting annoying for some. :p:p

Why is cos^2x = 0 if dy/dx is 0 for stationary point?

Reaction score
So for y coordinates is it important to mention iota? Thanks a lot btw, got the rest.

Why is cos^2x = 0 if dy/dx is 0 for stationary point?
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by y-coordinate and "iota" part.

We want to make dy/dx zero. Setting cos^2(x) = 0 is a very convenient method of achieving this. This is because cos^2(x) was a factor of dy/dx. Hope that made sense.

Reaction score
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by y-coordinate and "iota" part.

We want to make dy/dx zero. Setting cos^2(x) = 0 is a very convenient method of achieving this. This is because cos^2(x) was a factor of dy/dx. Hope that made sense.

U mentioned 2sqrt2i so I was asking is it important to mention i when calculating length of y axis?

Also i cant understand the cos^2 part. Cant u include the 4 with it? Is there any other way of solving it?

Reaction score
U mentioned 2sqrt2i so I was asking is it important to mention i when calculating length of y axis?

Also i cant understand the cos^2 part. Cant u include the 4 with it? Is there any other way of solving it?
Well if you make it clear that you are treating A and C as coordinates then I think there is no need to mention i. But if you are treating them as complex numbers and finding the modulus of the "complex number" AC, then you should mention i. The formula for modulus is |s| = sqrt(ss*)

As for your second question. Whenever you wanna solve any algebraic equation of the form f(x) = 0, and f(x) is given in factors, then you can set these factors as zero. This is because 0 multiplied by anything is equal to 0. For example:
(X-2)(X-3) = 0
So either (X-2)= 0 or (X-3) = 0
If there was a constant factor:
4(X-2)(X-3) = 0
We wouldn't say 4=0 because we know that's not true. We only take VARIABLE factors to be equal to zero if it is possible.
In your question we wanted to set dy/dx equal to zero, and cos^2(X) happened to be a factor of it. If a value of X is such that cos^2(X) = 0, then this guarantees that dy/dx is also equal to zero.

Reaction score
i may fail in S1 i really need help
You know I felt the same way when I started stats but I kept on doing papers and kept on getting bad marks.But then I felt confident after I had done about 10-15 papers
But if you just do the papers without understanding it isn't gonna help. Why don't you ask your teachers to explain your doubts to you I'm sure it will be much clearer to you then.

Reaction score
You know I felt the same way when I started stats but I kept on doing papers and kept on getting bad marks.But then I felt confident after I had done about 10-15 papers
But if you just do the papers without understanding it isn't gonna help. Why don't you ask your teachers to explain your doubts to you I'm sure it will be much clearer to you then.
I DONT GO TO SCHOOL i stopped privates tution
why dont go to school well i dont have enough time so i am posting my qs hoping that someone will help and thanks for anyone who help

Reaction score
Well if you make it clear that you are treating A and C as coordinates then I think there is no need to mention i. But if you are treating them as complex numbers and finding the modulus of the "complex number" AC, then you should mention i. The formula for modulus is |s| = sqrt(ss*)

As for your second question. Whenever you wanna solve any algebraic equation of the form f(x) = 0, and f(x) is given in factors, then you can set these factors as zero. This is because 0 multiplied by anything is equal to 0. For example:
(X-2)(X-3) = 0
So either (X-2)= 0 or (X-3) = 0
If there was a constant factor:
4(X-2)(X-3) = 0
We wouldn't say 4=0 because we know that's not true. We only take VARIABLE factors to be equal to zero if it is possible.
In your question we wanted to set dy/dx equal to zero, and cos^2(X) happened to be a factor of it. If a value of X is such that cos^2(X) = 0, then this guarantees that dy/dx is also equal to zero.

Oh alright.

So we have to ignore the 4 that is being multiplied with cos^2x and the other function.

Reaction score
I DONT GO TO SCHOOL i stopped privates tution
why dont go to school well i dont have enough time so i am posting my qs hoping that someone will help and thanks for anyone who help
NO offence but the sort of questions you're asking are very basic which means you haven't quite understood the concept. So you need to do that first before doing past papers

Reaction score
i may fail in S1 i really need help
You need to plan and categorize your study.
The first thing is, your concept should be clear. You could take concepts from anywhere, be it notes, books or some youtube videos. Doing topic by topic helps a lot! For that, get topical past papers, they are life-savers! First revise a topic, (it's concepts), then do past papers on that topic. The first few questions seem daunting but as you go along, it gets easier. Because of doing topicals, you eventually find the pattern in the paper. Your mind accepts things more easily if they are categorized. So, when you start solving questions on a particular topic, there are like 20-25 questions on each topic in S1. As for me, when I reach the end, it gets so easier that it almost gets boring.
After you are done topic by topic, then try year by year. Though, there isn't much time but still, something is better than nothing. I finished my last topic yesterday and today I solved my first yearly S1 and believe me, my paper was 98% correct, and I did it in almost 1 hour.

Reaction score
upload_2016-4-6_12-48-34.png
can anyone plzz help me with this qtn

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-6_12-46-59.png
    upload_2016-4-6_12-46-59.png
    244 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
NO offence but the sort of questions you're asking are very basic which means you haven't quite understood the concept. So you need to do that first before doing past papers
ok i know that i am not very good in s1 and there is no time for revision now its time for pastpapers and so
may u help me in any of the posts