• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics

Reaction score
Salaam,
I came across this question while doing a sample Question Paper and have gotten stuck rather badly.
It would be much appreciated if anyone could offer help or a solution of sorts. Thank You. :)
It says:

In how many ways can the ten letters of the word GELATINOUS be arranged in a line so that the vowels are in alphabetical order (not necessarily together) when read from left to right?

Reaction score
im not sure but i think if u treat all the vowels as the same letter it might give u the correct ans.
then it would be 10!/5!

Reaction score
Hmm...Incidentally the final answer is right, but I don't understand how you got 10!/5! ? Please explain.

msk

Reaction score
10! is the possibility of all the letter we divide by 5! because vowels are included in the ten digit and the possibilty if 5!....so 10!/5! ...!

Reaction score
well if u treat all the vowels as one letter u do not include the order of the vowels,
as there is only one order which is A E I O U
the rest of the letters can be rearanged in many ways 10!
so we divide by the number of vowels 5!
i cant explain much more than that sorry