• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Re: O'level Maths, Addmaths and Statistics help available he

HEY, i WANT TO APPEAR for Add maths in the coming Oct 2011 session but I havent studied it at all yet. can I do it in amonth and get an A*?? I have just done O levels and got an A* in statistics and mathematics. please reply ASAP

and I cant take tutions :( so I have to do it on my own

I have already registered for it

Reaction score

If you haven't even started with the syllabus, it would be a difficult task due to the lengthy-ness of it. But if you work hard and make a proper schedule, it is totally possible that you can get an A*, given that you have a Mathematics background. Just make sure you practice past papers along with the chapters you clear. You may post any question on this forum and look for videos on the web, which will really help you understand a specific concept if you get stuck.

Reaction score

Hajra said:
HEY, i WANT TO APPEAR for Add maths in the coming Oct 2011 session but I havent studied it at all yet. can I do it in amonth and get an A*?? I have just done O levels and got an A* in statistics and mathematics. please reply ASAP

I would have not done this. Still if u have registered then u should completely devote your self to Add-Maths, It has a very vast syllabus and u therefore need spend much of your time with it, people here are always ready to help u if need any. Best of Luck

Reaction score

Hajra said:

Add Maths is not a difficult subject. It's just labor intensive. You can't take it easy . SalmanPakRocks is right , you gotta devout yourself to it! Clear your concepts on all the chapters. Practice as you go through the syllabus . I have these Examiner Tips , which could be helpful . Check Here. Don't get worked up . There are 24 chapters in total , out of which 8- 9 you would already have studied in Math. I'm also appearing in Add Maths in May/June 2012 . If you need anything , ask here.
People here are Help-0-Holics :wink:

Reaction score

Okay i want a little Math enquiry !
i know many previously asked this but i dont want to search it so can any one tell me any useful website for Vectors (the maths one ) and for Loci !

Also can u tell normally are Vectors comin in the Maths past Papers as a whole question purely on Vectors or they are mixed with another topic ! thanks !

Reaction score

scouserlfc said:
i know many previously asked this but i dont want to search it so can any one tell me any useful website for Vectors (the maths one ) and for Loci !

Also can u tell normally are Vectors comin in the Maths past Papers as a whole question purely on Vectors or they are mixed with another topic ! thanks !
Mostly Vector comes as a whole Question, still it is totally dependent on CIE that wheather they give it as a whole or as a part. This May/June I was expecting a question from Transformation as a whole but they some how gave Matrices along with it. Anyway if u need any help we are always here !! :)
Why don't u try youtube and search for videos ??

Reaction score

Hey Anyone out there wants Statistics tuitions...... for the session OCT NOV 2012........ pls tell i need to make a group of at least 5 students..... i am studying from a teacher who managed to make a student get a world distinction in olevel statistics in 2010..... a close personal friend of mine..... pls.... reply ASAP!!!!!!!
:) :D

Reaction score

SalmanPakRocks said:
scouserlfc said:

Mostly Vector comes as a whole Question, still it is totally dependent on CIE that wheather they give it as a whole or as a part. This May/June I was expecting a question from Transformation as a whole but they some how gave Matrices along with it. Anyway if u need any help we are always here !! :)
Why don't u try youtube and search for videos ??

well thanks for answering !

Now what i need u to help in is Vectors, i need to know how we solve the area part in vectors,where the question asks that u have to take out the area ratio ! so mainly i found there are two methods
1.the use of similar triangles if its similar
2.the use of the same height and therefore u can just take out the ratio of the bases .

So tell me what if it says take out the ratio of the area of a triangle and a quadrilateral. now what method i use can u tell and

Also can u solve this question !
http://xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%2 ... 2_qp_2.pdf
Q11 b)iv)a just tell me what to do like i know how to do the addition and finiding stuff but i dont get how we apply AB=p and BD=q and use it here and find the answers ? :unknown: :sorry: :Search:

Reaction score

So tell me what if it says take out the ratio of the area of a triangle and a quadrilateral. now what method i use can u tell and "
Do you have a specific example?
Q11 b)iv)a just tell me what to do like i know how to do the addition and finiding stuff but i dont get how we apply AB=p and BD=q and use it here and find the answers ? :unknown: :sorry: :Search:
(a) AB is produced to C. So the direction of the vector BC would be the same as AB.
Therefore, BC= 6/2 p = 3p.
(b) Vector BE would has the same direction as DB (same line). So BE= 3/4 q.
(c) AE= AB + BE = p + 3/4q.
(d) DC = DB + BC = q + 3p.

Reaction score

can u tell how u did the calculations please i dont get it sry ! :shock: :bad:

Reaction score

scouserlfc said:
can u tell how u did the calculations please i dont get it sry ! :shock: :bad:
Hope you get my attempt at an explanation: (a) Vectors AB and BC extend in the same direction. Since AB = p, BC must be 'p something' (only the magnitude would be different).
Since AB, 2 cm --> p
Therefore BC, 6 cm --> p/2 x 6 = 3p. Same goes for part (b).
DB = 4 cm -->q
=> BE = 3 cm --> q/4 x 3 = 3/4 q.
(c) and (d) are then simple addition. Still have a doubt?

Reaction score

thanks, i was thinking abt similarity still when doin Vector part my bad ill have to see that i dont use similarity when doin Vectors and instead use ratios ! anyways thanks for explaining !

Reaction score

abcde said:
So tell me what if it says take out the ratio of the area of a triangle and a quadrilateral. now what method i use can u tell and "
Do you have a specific example?

Yup i do have a specific eg.
its not in PP but have it in Maths 6th edition oxford book ! ill tell u the pg if u still have the book or ill wait for Salman to come as he might have the book !

Reaction score

scouserlfc said:
thanks, i was thinking abt similarity still when doin Vector part my bad ill have to see that i dont use similarity when doin Vectors and instead use ratios ! anyways thanks for explaining !
The reason we did not use the 'similar triangles method' is that a vector is composed of both magnitude and direction. In this case, the direction determined which vector (p or q) was to be used. :)

Reaction score

yeah i got that thanks !
i thought abt similarity when i knew that vectors pointing in specific directions are never same to those pointing in different directions :p

Reaction score

scouserlfc said:
yeah i got that thanks !
i thought abt similarity when i knew that vectors pointing in specific directions are never same to those pointing in different directions :p
Absolutely! :)

Reaction score

anyways can anyone of u tell how we are supposed to take out the area of vectors just the method no need to solve like u can tell by using similarity or something !

Reaction score

Area of vectors? Do you mean ratios of areas when vectors of two corresponding sides are given?
Mention the question you're having trouble with. There isn't a method as far as I recall.

Reaction score

hamidali391 said:
The following link will help you in understanding probability better: http://people.richland.edu/james/lectur ... 5-rul.html

OR and AND in probability are related to Mutually exclusive and independent events. Mutually exclusive events are events that cannot occur at the same time, i.e. there is no intersection if you draw a set diagram. Examples: Dice or a coin.
Whereas, independent events do not depend on each other and can occur at the same time. The AND basically refers to the intersection between the two events.
You should draw a set diagram and analyse it while looking at the link given above.

hamdali,the link u posted..is it fit 4 gce o-level stats....4 dis year?n is it fit 4 topics other thn probability?