• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
In the locus questions when they usually ask us to define a region by giving three restrains on the region,they ask in condition for instance tht the region should be less than 3 cm from a point .then are we to draw a dotted line tht encloses the region(cos region is before 3 cm and the boundary is the line we r drawing) or shud we draw a solid line?
Also in estimation like this one it is fairly easy to get 39 *3/6 yielding 19.5 but the MS states 20 as the correct answer I mean we can do simple calculations such as this is one without further estm and this will give us a more closer answer.Is ther any sort of rule like to est all the relevant quantites to 1 or 2(which seems more apt) sig fig so 38.89=40 and wud give 20 as an answer
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Mathematics D (Calculator Version) (4024)/4024_w13_qp_11.pdf
Q7 I am referring to in the abv context
Any views abt this

Reaction score
Any views abt this
About the estimation,i naturally would choose 40,since it would be better to get answers in the whole number.
And in locus they ask us to shade so if the area is to be before 3 cm and closer to A than B,we will draw the 2 loci i.e a 3 cm radius circle and a perpendicular bisector of AB,and shade the area within the circle and towards the side of A.Is that what you were asking.I have never heard of using a dotted line,just shade the area.

Reaction score
About the estimation,i naturally would choose 40,since it would be better to get answers in the whole number.
And in locus they ask us to shade so if the area is to be before 3 cm and closer to A than B,we will draw the 2 loci i.e a 3 cm radius circle and a perpendicular bisector of AB,and shade the area within the circle and towards the side of A.Is that what you were asking.I have never heard of using a dotted line,just shade the area.
really ..the dotted line conc is in D4 and also in locus questions whre for instance y,<x not y<=x in which they show a dotted line....I get wht u mean by shading the region but since the (for instance) the circle shud be less than 3 cm and the line is the boundary shudn,t we draw tht line dotted ...solid lineeans tht the boundary is incl?at least frm wht I have heard/studied

Reaction score
really ..the dotted line conc is in D4 and also in locus questions whre for instance y,<x not y<=x in which they show a dotted line....I get wht u mean by shading the region but since the (for instance) the circle shud be less than 3 cm and the line is the boundary shudn,t we draw tht line dotted ...solid lineeans tht the boundary is incl?at least frm wht I have heard/studied
I have never seen a dotted line being used,or mentioned in the ms.AFAIK the dotted line is in the inequality diagrams to indicate not equal signs....maybe draw a locus and post it here so i can understand what you are trying to say.