• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
in quadratic equations like x^2 + 30x + 64800 = 0
i try to find the factors by multiplying random numbers ..... do we have to show how we got the answer.. ( not by using the x wali equation ) .... is theere method to show how to gain the factors in this case ..240 and -270 ...or is it okay if we dont show how we gained them ..
You can get my method given by FLRNAB but there is also another one.If you have the fx-991 ES PLUS(Silver wala calculator )put the equation in it by chosing mode 5 equation and chosing equation number 3.Put in a b and c to get x and then from those factors you can decide what numbers to multiply.

Reaction score
Q:Ada is x years old and Bill is y years old.
Last year, Bill was 6 times as old as Ada.

Form an equation in x and y and show that it simplifies to y = 6x– 5

ANS. 6x-1 = y-1
This becomes y = 6x. Where did the +5 come from? :/
I solved this question too but it's kinda mystery for me.
But I think because bill is 6 times as old so 6 and last year so -1= 5.

Reaction score
You can get my method given by FLRNAB but there is also another one.If you have the fx-991 ES PLUS(Silver wala calculator )put the equation in it by chosing mode 5 equation and chosing equation number 3.Put in a b and c to get x and then from those factors you can decide what numbers to multiply.
yeh i know tht...but vat i was asking was ht does the examiner require the working for it....which is no real working btw.....but still i got my snswer...so yeah thx.....

Reaction score
Q:Ada is x years old and Bill is y years old.
Last year, Bill was 6 times as old as Ada.

Form an equation in x and y and show that it simplifies to y = 6x– 5

ANS. 6x-1 = y-1
This becomes y = 6x. Where did the +5 come from? :/

last year ada was x -1 and bill was y-1
so 6(x - 1) = y - 1
6x -6 = y - 1
6x -6 +1 = y
6x -5 = y
tadaa

Reaction score
AbbbbY, you are needed here. :'3
d)

upload_2014-5-28_7-49-2-png.44086

Last edited:
Reaction score
scale factor is ditance of the image from the cetre of enlargement / distance of the object from centre of enlargement
so take the distance of the Image from E to be " d " .... and hence the distance of the of the Object from E is d -9 ( 10 - 1 = 9 )
scale factor =4
4= d/ d-9
4 (d - 9) = d
4d -36 = d
4d - d = 36
3d = 36
d =12
so the distance of the image from E is 12 ..... u subtract 12 from 10 = -2
so e ( -2 , 3 )