• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
in quadratic equations like x^2 + 30x + 64800 = 0
i try to find the factors by multiplying random numbers ..... do we have to show how we got the answer.. ( not by using the x wali equation ) .... is theere method to show how to gain the factors in this case ..240 and -270 ...or is it okay if we dont show how we gained them ..

Reaction score
i try to find the factors by multiplying random numbers ..... do we have to show how we got the answer.. ( not by using the x wali equation ) .... is theere method to show how to gain the factors in this case ..240 and -270 ...or is it okay if we dont show how we gained them ..
I find them like this:
Two numbers whose product will be "-64800" and their Addition yields "+30"

I show this working:
x^2 + 30x - 64800 = 0
x^2 + 270x -240x - 64800 = 0
x(x + 270) -240(x + 270) = 0
(x + 270)(x - 240) = 0

Reaction score
The way I do is that I multiply the coefficient of x with the last number and then take out the factors through factorization method.

Reaction score
I find them like this:
Two numbers whose product will be "-64800" and their Addition yields "+30"

I show this working:
x^2 + 30x - 64800 = 0
x^2 + 270x -240x - 64800 = 0
x(x + 270) -240(x + 270) = 0
(x + 270)(x - 240) = 0
The way I do is that I multiply the coefficient of x with the last number and then take out the factors through factorization method.
vats a quick way of showing ur working through which we came to the answer tht the two factors are 240x and 270x.....

Reaction score
Correct to the nearest cm means we have to round off the answer?
If you are talking about upper bound and lower bound, then you have to divide 1/2, as per stated that it's correct to the 'nearest cm'.
For example, if they say 'correct to the nearest 10 cm, then you have to divide 10 by 2.
The answer would be 5. For calculating upper bound, add 5 to whatever the number is. And for lower bound, subtract 5.

Geddit?

Reaction score
If you are talking about upper bound and lower bound, then you have to divide 1/2, as per stated that it's correct to the 'nearest cm'.
For example, if they say 'correct to the nearest 10 cm, then you have to divide 10 by 2.
The answer would be 5. For calculating upper bound, add 5 to whatever the number is. And for lower bound, subtract 5.

Geddit?
you are right but i was talking about giving the answer to nearest cm

Reaction score
Yeh third line se samajh nahi ai.. :(
suuppose if we were already given the equation y= x and then we can say that at the point of intersection the two equations are equal and
12/ x - x = x ( since y = y ) ...... so they just changed <---- this equation into 12/x = -2x ....
to gain the equation 12/ x - x which was already given ..... we subtract x on both sides .....get it?
Well, idk if you do this just by thinking. You can use any other easy method.
so we dont have to show the working right ... they wouldnt cut our answers? b y the way is completing square in our syllabus?

Reaction score
suuppose if we were already given the equation y= x and then we can say that at the point of intersection the two equations are equal and
12/ x - x = x ( since y = y ) ...... so they just changed <---- this equation into 12/x = -2x ....
to gain the equation 12/ x - x which was already given ..... we subtract x on both sides .....get it?

so we dont have to show the working right ... they wouldnt cut our answers? b y the way is completing square in our syllabus?
I'm not sure but that's just rough work how you obtain that.
Yeah, it is and it's quite an easy method.
Why don't you use that formula x=-b... wala?