• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I have a doubt. How do you know when to use what in the Further Stat questions??? Esp. hypothesis-testing!

Reaction score
Can you please provide an example question?
For example :

A college careers officer investigates the income at age 24 of a group of students who left school at 16, and a group who stayed on to take their A-Levels.
The results he finds are summarized in the table.
16-year-old leaversA-Level leavers
Mean156164
Sample estimate of variance673593
Sample size3728

Show, using a 2-sample t-test, that the hypothesis that those staying on at school have higher incomes at age 24 is rejected, on the evidence of this sample.

Reaction score
For example :

A college careers officer investigates the income at age 24 of a group of students who left school at 16, and a group who stayed on to take their A-Levels.
Mean156164
Sample size3728
Show, using a 2-sample t-test, that the hypothesis that those staying on at school have higher incomes at age 24 is rejected, on the evidence of this sample.
can someone please help with this...?

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
For example :

Mean156164
Sample size3728
To test the hypothesis, we generally need to find the z-score also known as Test Statistic and then use it to find the p-value.
If \(p>0.05\), this means that the mean values have no difference and the hypothesis is rejected.

Substituting your values in this online calculator, we get \(z=-1.275\) and \(p=0.1036\) and since \(p\) is greater than \(0.05\), we can say the hypothesis is rejected.

P.S. I am not 100% sure about this so please take this with a grain of salt.

Reaction score
To test the hypothesis, we generally need to find the z-score also known as Test Statistic and then use it to find the p-value.
If \(p>0.05\), this means that the mean values have no difference and the hypothesis is rejected.

Substituting your values in this online calculator, we get \(z=-1.275\) and \(p=0.1036\) and since \(p\) is greater than \(0.05\), we can say the hypothesis is rejected.

P.S. I am not 100% sure about this so please take this with a grain of salt.

Thank you soo much! That's exactly what the marking scheme says so you are perfectly correct! Cheers!

Reaction score
How to revise maths for exams as someone who really hates maths and wants an A?

Practicing gets really boring for me. Most of the topics in my syllabus are ones I've done before, but need to (ugh)... practice.

It's too time consuming, and with other exams in the way, I have no idea how I'm going to cover the material. Any advice, guys?

Reaction score
Is the Casio fx-991ES PLUS calculator allowed in olevels Maths 4024? pretty sure it has some advanced features like doing metric conversions

Reaction score
Hello does anyone have the answers of Complete Mathematics for Cambridge IGCSE fifthe Edition by David Rayner

Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
After the initiative taken by Math_angel in the IGCSE section, I have made this topic for students of O'levels. You can post any question or any problem here and me along with other XPF users will try to help you as soon as possible. This topic is a feasible option as it won't bring a hassle of making new topics for every question and it will also allow the helpers to not miss any of your questions and have one common topic for answering your Mathematics queries.

So start posting your problems. :)
Second year taking additional math, covered half the syllabus, asking for any important tips before the exam

Reaction score
Hi, everyone can any of you help me to find the softcopy of cambridge worked solutions manual for probability & statistics 1 ISBN-978-1-108-61309-5. and. Worked solutions manual for probability & statistics 2 ISBN-978-1-108-40734-2.
I need it to teach my son. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220603-120840_Write on PDF.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220603-120840_Write on PDF.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • SmartSelect_20220603-120824_Write on PDF.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220603-120824_Write on PDF.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7