• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Q. If two linear equations in two unknowns have no common solution, these equations are called ?
A. Consistent B. Inconsistent C.Identical D. Independent

Q. Solve x- 12x + 36 = 0
By Factorization Method
By Quadratic Formula

Q. The Sum Of three Consecutive intergers is 54. What are the intergers?

plss some one help me i need all steps in answer ????
independent
then in the equation u have written shouldn't it be x^2 -12x+36?? because there should be an x^2 in a quadratic equation!!! the steps to solve are as follows:
u should find two numbers when multiplied together gives u 36 and when u add them u get -12 and these two numbers are -6 and -6, u then replace these two numbers instead of -12x in the eqution to get:

x^2 -6x -6x +36=o, u the solve by grouping:

x(x-6) * -6(x-6), u then get (x-6)(x-6) and u solve to get x=6(u put the equation in the bracket =0)

now to solve by the quadratic formula u just have to replace it in the formula -b+-root(b^2 - 4ac)| /2a
12+-root0/2 =12/2=6!!

and for the third one u form an equation with any variable u want (say x), then:
the 3 consecutive numbers will be x,x+1 and x+2
u then solve :
x+(x+1)+(x+2)=54,
3x+3=54, 3x=51, x=51/3 = 17

if x= 17 then the 3 numbers are 17,18and 19

Reaction score
I cannot understand the main difference b/w PERMUTATION and COMBINATION in add mthx. Where to use permutation and where to use combination? Plz help e out with it ...
if u see the words 'choose' or 'select' in the question, u have to use combinations but if u see the the word 'arrange' , u have to use permutations.

Reaction score
I cannot understand the main difference b/w PERMUTATION and COMBINATION in add mthx. Where to use permutation and where to use combination? Plz help e out with it ...

Basically get the add maths book and go in the misc. exercise where u wont be able to see what of the two (permutations or combinations ) apply now here decide what applies and see the answer !
Basically you use permutations when u give the order the importance like if u have one of the ways of arranging some alphabets as ABC and u are finding its permutations then u have to keep in mind that for perm. BAC,ABC,BCA,ACB ,CAB and CBA are all different permutations however when u have combinations then there isnt any order importance and u say BAC,ABC,BCA,ACB ,CAB and CBA are all exactly the same thing as ABC so u neglect these extra arrangements!!

Just practice more and youll realise what applies where it is nt difficult and dont become a person who just learns where the perm applies and where a combinations apply by looking at the word also use your thinking capacity an see if the order is important or not :p

Reaction score
Basically get the add maths book and go in the misc. exercise where u wont be able to see what of the two (permutations or combinations ) apply now here decide what applies and see the answer !
Basically you use permutations when u give the order the importance like if u have one of the ways of arranging some alphabets as ABC and u are finding its permutations then u have to keep in mind that for perm. BAC,ABC,BCA,ACB ,CAB and CBA are all different permutations however when u have combinations then there isnt any order importance and u say BAC,ABC,BCA,ACB ,CAB and CBA are all exactly the same thing as ABC so u neglect these extra arrangements!!

Just practice more and youll realise what applies where it is nt difficult and dont become a person who just learns where the perm applies and where a combinations apply by looking at the word also use your thinking capacity an see if the order is important or not :p
Hey thnx for that buddy !! That really helped :)

Reaction score
guys does anyone have some revision notes for Maths D1-----interest and commission.We kinda didn't do it and I can work on them but I have so much to cover if I could get some summary or something that'd be nice!!!!!:)

Reaction score
Notes By My Sir :)

Commission or brokage is the amount paid to an agent as the remuneratuion of his services,
which is normally a fixed percentage of the deal amount. The percentage involved in brokage is
called rate of commission.

Commission = Commission Rate * Selling price

Simple Interest = PIN

Compound Interest = P(1+i)^n

If Amount Is Given

A = P(1+i)^n

Hope This Helps :)

Reaction score
I am NEw in ad maths
is it giving you all hard time
i wil be sitting in may 2012

basically Add maths is a bit tough than math but really its all abt practice if u understand something and feel you know 100% now you should still practice so much that u start finding mistakes in the topics you think are easy until you do this add maths will become difficult in the end RV is termed difficult but really it isnt many will scare you abt it but just forget these people i have given add math and found it really fun and challenging but do see that u like maths and dont hate it because if u hate it then u will hate this too and wont spend the time it needs ! Basically math subs require about the 1/4 of your days study time so do give it time and INSHAALLAH you will see the results :D

By the way how will you give it in m/J 2012 that session is already over :p :p :p???

Reaction score
basically Add maths is a bit tough than math but really its all abt practice if u understand something and feel you know 100% now you should still practice so much that u start finding mistakes in the topics you think are easy until you do this add maths will become difficult in the end RV is termed difficult but really it isnt many will scare you abt it but just forget these people i have given add math and found it really fun and challenging but do see that u like maths and dont hate it because if u hate it then u will hate this too and wont spend the time it needs ! Basically math subs require about the 1/4 of your days study time so do give it time and INSHAALLAH you will see the results :D

By the way how will you give it in m/J 2012 that session is already over :p :p :p???
sorry imeant 2013

Reaction score
Guys I found this website that offers free math tutors but you can only ask 1 question per 24 hours-----p.s you have to enter a "?" in the search tab on the website then only will you be taken to the tutors.
....... website;
[email protected]

Reaction score
watch khanacademy's lesson on these, the confusion will be cleared out from ur brain :=))

Reaction score
After the initiative taken by Math_angel in the IGCSE section, I have made this topic for students of O'levels. You can post any question or any problem here and me along with other XPF users will try to help you as soon as possible. This topic is a feasible option as it won't bring a hassle of making new topics for every question and it will also allow the helpers to not miss any of your questions and have one common topic for answering your Mathematics queries.

So start posting your problems. :)
Can you provide me with help for the topics symmetry,rotational symmetry,polygons and number sequences for gce olevel maths