• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths S1 M/J10 Solve please

Reaction score
Part 4 of Question 7
As we have already obtained 9P3 = 504 ways in the previous part, in this part they are telling us that one of the 3 cards is Pink. So we imagine that we have ( P , C1 , C2 ) - Remember all of them are of different color. As we know that pink is already in the arrangement, so its 8C2. Next we take 3! due to its arrangement. So 3! x 8C2 is 168.

I am trying to solve part 5 of the question but that seems like a tuff nut to crack!

Reaction score
for part 5
all u do is find the number of ways they are together thenn (iii)-ans
so if blue and pink are together then u must choose 1 other card from the 7
so
7C1*2*2
since you can arrange the cards in 2*2 ways
so you will get 28
so
504-28=476

Reaction score
God I have no idea what "9P3" is, I don't think I have ever even done that on a calculator yet.. can someone please explain the difference between 9P3 and 9C3, because It think im going to do really really poorly in the exam 2morrow.

Reaction score
mickysharif said:
God I have no idea what "9P3" is, I don't think I have ever even done that on a calculator yet.. can someone please explain the difference between 9P3 and 9C3, because It think im going to do really really poorly in the exam 2morrow.
P is permutation where arrangement is important (ordering is important). Usually found when you are placing people in a row or whichever situation requires order
However combination (C) is where arrangement is NOT important and usual events involving it are people being selected in a group, etc.