• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths Urgent Help needed!!

Reaction score
question 1 for 2010.....tan(pi-x)=-ve k

REASONING:
just remember the unit circle....angle x is acute as mentioned in the question pi rads is equal to 180 deg......so 180-x is an obtuse angle which is located in the second quadrant...and tan value of any angle in second quadrant is -ve....

tan(1/2 pi-x)...nothing fancy here...1/2 pi is 90 deg...use the property tan x=1/(tan(90-x)) so u get the answer 1/k
sin x....hmm....so how we do it.....well use the identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 and tan x = sin x/cos x.....well ho do we use it .....express cos x in terms of sin x and tan x.....and u get cos x = sin x / tan x ......substitute the square of this value for cos^2 x in the the first identity....play around a litlle bit and u ll get the anser ...hope that helps

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
hassam said:
question 1 for 2010.....tan(pi-x)=-ve k

REASONING:
just remember the unit circle....angle x is acute as mentioned in the question pi rads is equal to 180 deg......so 180-x is an obtuse angle which is located in the second quadrant...and tan value of any angle in second quadrant is -ve....

tan(1/2 pi-x)...nothing fancy here...1/2 pi is 90 deg...use the property tan x=1/(tan(90-x)) so u get the answer 1/k
sin x....hmm....so how we do it.....well use the identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 and tan x = sin x/cos x.....well ho do we use it .....express cos x in terms of sin x and tan x.....and u get cos x = sin x / tan x ......substitute the square of this value for cos^2 x in the the first identity....play around a litlle bit and u ll get the anser ...hope that helps

JazakAllah!!
well i got the first part but this one...i didnt understand :

can u plz tell me from which chapter is it...may be i havent done that..
P.S. I havent done tan curves..only sine and cosine i have done..is it smthng related to the curve??

Reaction score
for june question 1
the last part just draw a right angled triangle and make the opposite k and the adjacent 1 and then find the hypotenus in terms of k
after that find oposite/hypotenuses which is equal to sin
for second part which is tan(pi/2-x) i did not get hassams reasoning

Reaction score
evaluate tan 30 and tan 60 using calculator....and u ll C 1 is the inverse of other.....ryt?
from this u can formulate a property....rememba' p1 book ex 10 b......we cn use properties to solve questions ...
property is tan(90-x)=1/tan x

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
btw under which topic do these questions come??

Reaction score
These properties are mostly based on Trigonometry / Trigonometric Functions

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
*bump*

Assalamoalaikum!!

need a solution to Q:2 nov 2009...the link given in my first post..plz i'm stuck in that!!

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken first draw a cosine curve with one cycle having an amplitude at 3. Then put in different prominent values of x (like pi / 6, pi / 3, pi /2) in the line equation to get corresponding values of y and plot it on the graph.

Note: For accuracy this has to be done on the graph paper and keep the range in mind for both the line and the curve.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
If I am not mistaken first draw a cosine curve with one cycle having an amplitude at 3. Then put in different prominent values of x (like pi / 6, pi / 3, pi /2) in the line equation to get corresponding values of y and plot it on the graph.

Note: For accuracy this has to be done on the graph paper and keep the range in mind for both the line and the curve.
Assalamoalaikum!!

JazakAllah Khair!

btw..since we just need to sketch..so we need not do it on a graph paper.. :p

well i think i got it..i'll try to sketck..if i'm able to do it..then it's good :D otherwise will disturb u again :p

Reaction score
In the actual exam this kind of question is instructed to be drawn on the sketch paper, you won't get the proper function/drawing any other way.
So it's best to start practicing from the beginning.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
In the actual exam this kind of question is instructed to be drawn on the sketch paper, you won't get the proper function/drawing any other way.
So it's best to start practicing from the beginning.
do u mean graph paper by saying sketch paper?