• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Medical Schools in USA and UK

Reaction score
What are the requirements for attending medical school in USA or UK.I have completed my olevels and just started my AS. In olevel i took 8 subjects English , Urdu , Maths ,Biology ,Physics ,Chemistry , Pakstudies and Islamiat. In Alevels i am studing bio , phy and chem. Should i take any additional subject in alevel that would be helpful. And what is basically sats and tofel and when to take them. And suggest any medical school is USA and UK that would offer generous scholarships.

Reaction score
What are the requirements for attending medical school in USA or UK.I have completed my olevels and just started my AS. In olevel i took 8 subjects English , Urdu , Maths ,Biology ,Physics ,Chemistry , Pakstudies and Islamiat. In Alevels i am studing bio , phy and chem. Should i take any additional subject in alevel that would be helpful. And what is basically sats and tofel and when to take them. And suggest any medical school is USA and UK that would offer generous scholarships.
Awesome12
DarkEclipse

Reaction score
1) SAT is basically like an entrance exam to US, Canadian and Singapore universities. The standardized tests assess your readiness and performance for university. There are two SAT tests, SAT I and SAT II. You can give one or both. SAT I consists of English and basic Mathematics. The English section contains Critical Reading and Writing. Currently, the SAT I is scored on a scale of 600-2400, although from 2016 onwards, it will be on 600-1600, since they will be making the Writing section optional. SAT II are the subjects tests, which you have to give in order to fulfill the entrance requirements for your major. The TOEFL is a test, which serves as a proof in your ability of the English language. TOEFL usually serves in US universities, and IELTS in UK universities.

2) Since you will be giving the A-levels in 2016, ideally you should give it after June 2015, latest by September of 2015. SAT scores are valid for around 2-5 years. The dates vary from year to year, check with College Board. I will be giving it in 2015. The same goes for TOEFL and IELTS.

3) In the US, you'll have to undergo the Pre-Medical process, by entering a Pre-Med school. This lasts for 4 years. You'll have to give the SAT and the TOEFL or IELTS. During Pre-Med, you are advised to major in any subject you wish, be it biology, economics, chemical engineering etc. After Pre-Med, you have to give the MCAT to get into a good MD program in Medicine school. The MD lasts 4 years, and is the final stage of the medicine education.

3) In the UK, the university will specify whether you have to submit your application through the UCAS. All the great medical colleges require grades AAA at A-level and B in IGCSE English if not taken in AS-level. There are 2 types of undergraduate degrees here, the MBBS and the MbChB (most common in Scotland). The MBBS last for 5 to 6 years, and the MbChB lasts for 5 years. Some colleges like the Imperial Medical College have specialized MBBS degrees which last for 6 years, Imperial's degree is known as MBBS BSc: Bachelor of Medicne, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Science. To apply for UK colleges, in addition to the IELTS, you have to give the UKCAT (UK Clinical Aptitude Test) or, in some colleges, the BMAT (BioMedical Admission Test). The MD degree last for 2 years.

4) US: All Ivy Leagues, and for Pre-Med, check these links: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/19444-best-premed-programs.html
http://www.collegexpress.com/lists/list/the-experts-choice-colleges-with-great-pre-med-programs/199/

Each Ivy League has its own Pre-Med program. In addition, you should apply to Vanderbilt, Stanford and the University of Florida. Keep in mind that during your 4 years of Pre-Med, you have to major in a subject. Plenty of universities offer Pre-Med, you'll have to consult the college Councillor to see which fields you can major in. First finish the Pre-Med, then think about medicine school, if you're applying to US.

5) UK: As usual, you should apply to Cambridge and Oxford. In addition, you should apply to the University of Glasgow and the University of Edinburgh. The scope for scholarships in UK is very low, and these are some of the universities that offer them.

6) If you're sure about applying to the US, take: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and an arts/humanities subject. US colleges are very strict about these requirements. English is recommended, and compulsory in some universities.

7) If you're sure about applying to the UK, take: Biology, Physics, Chemistry and a fourth subject, except Critical Thinking and General Studies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1) SAT is basically like an entrance exam to US, Canadian and Singapore universities. The standardized tests assess your readiness and performance for university. There are two SAT tests, SAT I and SAT II. You can give one or both. SAT I consists of English and basic Mathematics. The English section contains Critical Reading and Writing. Currently, the SAT I is scored on a scale of 600-2400, although from 2016 onwards, it will be on 600-1600, since they will be making the Writing section optional. SAT II are the subjects tests, which you have to give in order to fulfill the entrance requirements for your major. The TOEFL is a test, which serves as a proof in your ability of the English language. TOEFL usually serves in US universities, and IELTS in UK universities.

2) Since you will be giving the A-levels in 2016, ideally you should give it after June 2015, latest by September of 2015. SAT scores are valid for around 2-5 years. The dates vary from year to year, check with College Board. I will be giving it in 2015. The same goes for TOEFL and IELTS.

3) In the US, you'll have to undergo the Pre-Medical process, by entering a Pre-Med school. This lasts for 4 years. You'll have to give the SAT and the TOEFL or IELTS. During Pre-Med, you are advised to major in any subject you wish, be it biology, economics, chemical engineering etc. After Pre-Med, you have to give the MCAT to get into a good MD/PhD program in Medicine school. The MD/PhD lasts 4 years, and is the final stage of the medicine education.

3) In the UK, the university will specify whether you have to submit your application through the UCAS. All the great medical colleges require grades AAA at A-level and B in IGCSE English if not taken in AS-level. There are 2 types of undergraduate degrees here, the MBBS and the MbChB (most common in Scotland). The MBBS last for 5 to 6 years, and the MbChB lasts for 5 years. Some colleges like the Imperial Medical College have specialized MBBS degrees which last for 6 years, Imperial's degree is known as MBBS BSc: Bachelor of Medicne, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Science. To apply for UK colleges, in addition to the IELTS, you have to give the UKCAT (UK Clinical Aptitude Test) or, in some colleges, the BMAT (BioMedical Admission Test). The MD degree last for 2 years.

4) US: All Ivy Leagues, and for Pre-Med, check these links: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/19444-best-premed-programs.html
http://www.collegexpress.com/lists/list/the-experts-choice-colleges-with-great-pre-med-programs/199/

Each Ivy League has its own Pre-Med program. In addition, you should apply to Vanderbilt, Stanford and the University of Florida. Keep in mind that during your 4 years of Pre-Med, you have to major in a subject. Plenty of universities offer Pre-Med, you'll have to consult the college Councillor to see which fields you can major in. First finish the Pre-Med, then think about medicine school, if you're applying to US.

5) UK: As usual, you should apply to Cambridge and Oxford. In addition, you should apply to the University of Glasgow and the University of Edinburgh. The scope for scholarships in UK is very low, and these are some of the universities that offer them.

6) If you're sure about applying to the US, take: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and an arts/humanities subject. US colleges are very strict about these requirements. English is recommended, and compulsory in some universities.

7) If you're sure about applying to the UK, take: Biology, Physics, Chemistry and a fourth subject, except Critical Thinking and General Studies.
Thanks alot mate for guiding me in such detail. I just want to know that with bio, phy and chem can i take a subject like applied ict or computer science as a fourth subject if i want to apply to a uk university.

Reaction score
Thanks alot mate for guiding me in such detail. I just want to know that with bio, phy and chem can i take a subject like applied ict or computer science as a fourth subject if i want to apply to a uk university.
You can, there's no problem.

Reaction score
You can, there's no problem.
If I like want to apply to harvard first i have to apply to harvard pre medicaal program and then medical school and in total it will take 8 years. And when should I take SAT1 and SAT2 or both together. Can I take it after my AS papers in May/June 2014 and will i have enough time to prepare for it and submit it to harvard. What will be the estimated dates be in summers 2015. And is TOFEL really necessary if you are giving SAT1 for harvard. And what does majoring in a subject mean. And for University of Glassgow do you ave to give ILETS if you have a A in O'Level English.

Reaction score
If I like want to apply to harvard first i have to apply to harvard pre medicaal program and then medical school and in total it will take 8 years. And when should I take SAT1 and SAT2 or both together. Can I take it after my AS papers in May/June 2014 and will i have enough time to prepare for it and submit it to harvard. What will be the estimated dates be in summers 2015. And is TOFEL really necessary if you are giving SAT1 for harvard. And what does majoring in a subject mean. And for University of Glassgow do you ave to give ILETS if you have a A in O'Level English.
I would advise you not to pursue your medical studies in the US. Of the thousands of international students that applied to med school last year, only 196 got in.
Take the SAT I and II anytime before your college application deadline. TOEFL is necessary, regardless of SAT I. Majoring in a subject means what degree you are going to pursue. And yes, you still have to give the IELTS, regardless of your O level grade.

Reaction score
I would advise you not to pursue your medical studies in the US. Of the thousands of international students that applied to med school last year, only 196 got in.
Take the SAT I and II anytime before your college application deadline. TOEFL is necessary, regardless of SAT I. Majoring in a subject means what degree you are going to pursue. And yes, you still have to give the IELTS, regardless of your O level grade.
What country do you recommend for doing medical from abroad.

Reaction score
Do I have to give the ILETS exams even if I'm giving First Language English O'level exam?

Reaction score
Do u guys have any idea about universities that accept IGCSE students ( without AL ) for human medicine undergraduate study ?

Reaction score
Students from my school got admitted in US and UK universities without IELTS or TOEFL.
That would depend on the university in question. For example, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign does not require IELTS or TOEFL, but Caltech does.
UK visa authorities would refuse to issue you a visa unless you've either scored a B in EFL or have given the IELTS. Again, some universities will demand the IELTS, including but not limited to: University of Glasgow, University of Edinburgh, etc.
For example, look here:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/
Look under 'Entry Requirements'.

Reaction score
Hey.. umm it's still pretty early for me but I think I should do some future thinking... :p
If u take English in A Level do u still have to give IELTS?
Secondly I give IELTS in my A Levels first year..... And then do we have to apply to unis in our A2's????
Thirdly does UK unis for Medicine require extra curricular?

Reaction score
Hey.. umm it's still pretty early for me but I think I should do some future thinking... :p
If u take English in A Level do u still have to give IELTS?
Secondly I give IELTS in my A Levels first year..... And then do we have to apply to unis in our A2's????
Thirdly does UK unis for Medicine require extra curricular?

Hi!
Even if the university you are applying to exempt you from english test chances are that you will still need IELTS/TOEFL (both are valid for 2 years) for the visa processing.

You apply to universities in A2.
UK focuses a lot on academics and less on extra curricular. For USA both are important.
For USA you need a 4 year degree before enrolling in MD.

Now the hard part, don't be disappointed.
Medicine in both US and UK is EXTREMELY expensive and there in almost no funding available. Even Pakistani people who are dual citizens come back to Pakistan for MBBS.

The route almost all Pakistani people take is that they do MBBS here and then give USMLE exam and go to USA, hence saving time(for BS+MD) and money, or they go to Europe or Middle East. No one in their sane mind would do MBBS from abroad, unless you count China and Africa.

But you should research about doing medicine in Europe, especially Germany. I do not have a lot of knowledge about this but since Germany (and nearby countries) have free education, maybe medicine is free there too.

Reaction score
Thank u.... so I need IELTS one way or another. When do u suggest I do IELTS. In A1.... And I do IELTS for UK visa and immigration?
.. Do u know the application procedure?

Reaction score
Thank u.... so I need IELTS one way or another. When do u suggest I do IELTS. In A1.... And I do IELTS for UK visa and immigration?
.. Do u know the application procedure?

If you have a grade B or above in English Olevels and If u didnt take any gap year then you dont need any Ielts.

For visa procedure you need to show a PROPER BANK STATEMENT, unconditional offer letter from your uni, your original Olevels and Alevels certificates , original CAS letter from uni , and then comes your birth certificate , UK accommodation address,and T.B TEST and police verification(in some cases).

Reaction score
If you have a grade B or above in English Olevels and If u didnt take any gap year then you dont need any Ielts.

For visa procedure you need to show a PROPER BANK STATEMENT, unconditional offer letter from your uni, your original Olevels and Alevels certificates , original CAS letter from uni , and then comes your birth certificate , UK accommodation address,and T.B TEST and police verification(in some cases).
What's gap year?