• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Megaupload file-sharing site Shut Down

Reaction score
Yeah, the FBI closed it like 4 days ago, and it sort of happened along with PIPA/SOPA (although thankfully those are dead now) which is a coincidence I guess. According to what I've heard, it was shut down because of its staff committing acts of piracy rather than than the FBI looking for illegal material in the site's database. Let's just hope the same doesn't happen with RapidShare or other popular file sharing websites.

Also, in light of this, some other file sharing sites (FileSonic + FileServe) disabled their file sharing service, probably to save themselves.

Reaction score
Yeah :( This was the site where I usually make most downloads

But now, everyfing is ruined :(

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
in other news.. filesonic got scared too if any1 has noticed... :D

Reaction score
:cautious: Such a shame Megaupload is a gonner since it got itself dragged into this whole illegal filesharing mess, I know loads of people used to use megaupload file sharing for their legit docs and files not for any monkey business.

Anyhow, suppose it's not that easy to find any good alternatives to megaupload these days, other file sharing sites are already closing down voluntarily or so I've read. Btw I read some interesting chat on some new alternative to megaupload filesharing.

Didn't get much unfortunately, just that some new tech from audials.com will be a safer alternative to filesharing and other sites like megaupload.

Got no idea what this new audials filesharing technology is, hope it's not another of them clouds.

U guys hear anything on this audials sharing tech rumor?Got any idea what is is?:confused:

Reaction score
Guy was living in the most expensive mansion of New Zealand. Check out the pictures of his mansion once if you get a chance. On topic : megaupload going down wont really change anything. The main file host rapidshare is still running and is unlikely to ever go down because of protection from the German Government.

Reaction score
Still, some of the content hosted on Rapidshare is illegal so I don't really like those type of sites anyway.

Some interesting articles:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/02/is-megaupload-a-lot-less-guilty-than-you-think.ars
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...on-in-megaupload-assets-lodge-new-charges.ars
Not some, almost ALL of it. Do you honestly expect a file host to survive without illegal files? There's a reason RapidShare is in the top 100 most visited sites on the net. From a profit point of view its basically germany's facebook. I'm not sure why a person would not "like" a filehost because the files are illegal. To be honest virtually every form of downloading on the internet - Torrents, P2P, FileHosts contain mostly illegal files so if a person does not like sites which host illegal content there is really no website that he/she will like :p