• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

O level Computer Studies (7010) -Problems

Reaction score
Hi i am Navid Saqib teaching computer studies of O level from last 19 years. if you have any Query or Question post it here .

Thanks
Navid Saqib
Sir please can you help me with these two points:
-how the data is represented for processing with reference to a given problem
- explain the need for different data types and structures and how these relate to the data of the given problem.

Reaction score
Sir ,
please can i know what is "top down approach"
thank - you in advance

Top down design progresses from simple design to detailed design. Top down design solves problems by breaking them down into smaller, easier to solve subproblems. Top down design creates solutions to these smaller problems, and then tests them using test drivers. In other words, top down design starts the design process with the main module or system, then progresses down to lower level modules and subsystems. To put it differently, top down design looks at the whole system, and then explodes it into subsystems, or smaller parts. A systems engineer or systems analyst determines what the top level objectives are, and how they can be met. He then divides the system into subsystems, i.e. breaks the whole system into logical, manageable-size modules, and deals with them individually.

Reaction score
Sir can you explain the process of weather forecasting
Dear ARAGA
Your question is little confusing because context of the question is not clear but I hope the given answer could satisfy your query sufficiently.

The weather forecast center's first task is to collect the data, then process the data to make a forecast for next few days and finally the output result is distributed.
The measurements such as temperature, humidity, rainfall, wind velocity, cloud cover, atmospheric air pressure, duration of sunlight are recorded through appropriate sensors using ADC (analog to digital converter) and sent to the Met Office who collects the data and calculates the average of collected data and produced the forecast for the next few days. The source of receiving data can be satellite or weather balloons.

Reaction score
P3 case study would be an example of real time transaction processing right since it updates as soon as a booking is made?

Reaction score
Sir Guide me Aboout
1.Phishing
2.Wiki
3.Pharming
and other Syllabus update...!in 2012 7010 Computer Studies

Reaction score
Sir Guide me Aboout
1.Phishing
2.Wiki
3.Pharming
and other Syllabus update...!in 2012 7010 Computer Studies

PHISHING –
Phishing is a fraudulent attempt, usually made through email, to steal user's personal information. Phishing emails usually appear to come from a well-known organization and ask for user's personal information — such as credit card number, social security number, account number or password. Often times phishing attempts appear to come from sites, services and companies with which one do not even have an account. In order for Internet criminals to successfully "phish" user's personal information, they must get user to go from an email to a website. Phishing emails will almost always tell user to click a link that takes user to a site where user's personal information is requested. Legitimate organizations would never request this information to the user via emails.

PHARMING -
Pharming is yet another way hackers attempt to manipulate users on the Internet. While phishing attempts to capture personal information by getting users to visit a fake website, pharming redirects users to false websites without them even knowing it.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PHISHING AND PHARMING
Pharming, coined from the two terms phishing and pharming, pronounced “farming”, is a cybercrime attack.
In both pharming as well as phishing are users taken to bogus websites to obtain secret information such as usernames, passwords and PINs for example, but the two methods are inherently different.
Pharming exploits the host name to IP address translation mechanisms by adding a bogus entry in the local computer’s hosts files, or by hacking a Domain Name System DNS server. The effect is that when a user enters an URL such as www.anycompany.com in the browser he or she lands on the attacker’s site pretending to be the legitimate website.

Phishing, on the other hand, tricks users into visiting malicious websites using bogus links. Phishing, mostly seen in emails which mimicry legitimate sites such as financial institutions or auctions sites can occur in any form of Internet based communication including instant messaging programs for example.
In contrast to pharming, which is a technical attack without the users doing anything “wrong”, does phishing explore the human nature’s traits such as curiosity, readiness to help or fear by enticing or demanding to click a link. Thus, phishing is a so called social engineering attack.

WIKIS –
A WIKI is a server program that allows users to collaborate in forming the content of a Web site. With a wiki, any user can edit the site content, including other users' contributions, using a regular Web browser. Basically, a wiki Web site operates on a principle of collaborative trust.
The term comes from the word "wikiwiki," which means "fast" in the Hawaiian language.
A wiki provides a simplified interface.
At any time, contributors can conveniently view the Web page as it looks to other subscribers, before and after the changes they have made.
It is not necessary to know HTML (hypertext markup language) or perform work in HTML code.
The best known example of a wiki Web site is Wikipedia, an online dictionary building collaboration.

For more query submit Ur questions here

Reaction score
PHISHING –
Phishing is a fraudulent attempt, usually made through email, to steal user's personal information. Phishing emails usually appear to come from a well-known organization and ask for user's personal information — such as credit card number, social security number, account number or password. Often times phishing attempts appear to come from sites, services and companies with which one do not even have an account. In order for Internet criminals to successfully "phish" user's personal information, they must get user to go from an email to a website. Phishing emails will almost always tell user to click a link that takes user to a site where user's personal information is requested. Legitimate organizations would never request this information to the user via emails.

PHARMING -
Pharming is yet another way hackers attempt to manipulate users on the Internet. While phishing attempts to capture personal information by getting users to visit a fake website, pharming redirects users to false websites without them even knowing it.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PHISHING AND PHARMING
Pharming, coined from the two terms phishing and pharming, pronounced “farming”, is a cybercrime attack.
In both pharming as well as phishing are users taken to bogus websites to obtain secret information such as usernames, passwords and PINs for example, but the two methods are inherently different.
Pharming exploits the host name to IP address translation mechanisms by adding a bogus entry in the local computer’s hosts files, or by hacking a Domain Name System DNS server. The effect is that when a user enters an URL such as www.anycompany.com in the browser he or she lands on the attacker’s site pretending to be the legitimate website.

Phishing, on the other hand, tricks users into visiting malicious websites using bogus links. Phishing, mostly seen in emails which mimicry legitimate sites such as financial institutions or auctions sites can occur in any form of Internet based communication including instant messaging programs for example.
In contrast to pharming, which is a technical attack without the users doing anything “wrong”, does phishing explore the human nature’s traits such as curiosity, readiness to help or fear by enticing or demanding to click a link. Thus, phishing is a so called social engineering attack.

WIKIS –
A WIKI is a server program that allows users to collaborate in forming the content of a Web site. With a wiki, any user can edit the site content, including other users' contributions, using a regular Web browser. Basically, a wiki Web site operates on a principle of collaborative trust.
The term comes from the word "wikiwiki," which means "fast" in the Hawaiian language.
A wiki provides a simplified interface.
At any time, contributors can conveniently view the Web page as it looks to other subscribers, before and after the changes they have made.
It is not necessary to know HTML (hypertext markup language) or perform work in HTML code.
The best known example of a wiki Web site is Wikipedia, an online dictionary building collaboration.

For more query submit Ur questions here
Great!
Thanks for that sir. Kindly keep an eye on the thread so we can ask u anything. I appreciate. :)

Reaction score
Apart from the topics in the CIE booklets, what else should I know? For example as someone mentioned above, phishing and pharming.

Reaction score
sir can u tell me some terms such as pharming cookies phishing etc

SPAMMING –
Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services.
Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender. In addition to wasting people's time with unwanted e-mail, spam also eats up a lot of network bandwidth.

SPYWARE –
It is a Program that secretly record what you do on your computer are called spyware. Its aim is usually to capture passwords, banking credentials and credit card details - and send them over the internet to fraudsters.
Spyware arrives bundled with freeware or shareware, through email or instant messenger, just clicking on a WEB page, or by someone with access to your computer. Once on your drive, spyware secretly installs itself and goes to work (this is called Hijacking).
Unlike traditional personalization or session cookies, spyware is difficult to detect, and difficult (if not impossible) for the average user to remove.

COOKIES –
A computer cookie is a tiny text file that is saved to the hard drive by a website programme. This file contains information about user searches and behaviour on the website. It is saved without one’s consent or knowledge meaning user really have no computer privacy. Whenever user next visit the site, it identifies the user by looking-up user’s cookie.
This is how many sites are able to 'greet' user when he/ she return, to remember their password, or to recommend products just for users.
Cookies are not malicious, although they can be embedded by spyware and programmed to collect personal information. Provided you have protection against spy software, it is generally safe to allow user’s browser to collect cookies as you surf the web, although you might well be concerned about online privacy.

PHISHING –

PHARMING -
While a typical website uses a domain name for its address, its actual location is determined by an IP address.

Reaction score
Apart from the topics in the CIE booklets, what else should I know? For example as someone mentioned above, phishing and pharming.
You should know about high level and low level languages. Interpreters and compilers as they are not included in any of the booklets:)

Reaction score
You should know about high level and low level languages. Interpreters and compilers as they are not included in any of the booklets:)

i didnt get you whether you are asking the question or telling me about it :confused:

Reaction score
Haha no sir someone above asked what else they should know except the booklets so I quoted the answer... I replied him above by putting his name.. Btw sir what is electronic scabbing?

Reaction score
Sir hope u r still online.
Can i use brakets and pther comples functions as in C language. I m a pho and javascript developer with good experience but just studied c++ for few weeks amd then stopped. Biggest mistake i make writing like php or javascript. Will it be alright. For example:
If(x==1 || y!= 2){

}
For( i = 1, i>10, i++){
}
Etc
I know these are not exact php or javascript just using parenthesis to make code clearer.