• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

O LEVELS , IGCSE CHEMISTRY PROBLEMS

Reaction score
I AM DOING MY FINAL REVISION FOR CIE CHEMISTRY. SO IF ANY ONE OF U HAVE ANY DOUBTS OR PROBLEMS IN ANY CHAPTER OR PAST PAPER QUESTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WILL SURELY HELP YOU OUT.
THANKS.

Reaction score
sorry bro i cant answer biology questions as i dont take it but u can ask me any chemistry problem

Reaction score
I need help in this question : Is cryolite a catalyst or impurity ? for sure I know its not a catalyst but Why it ( Sodium Hydrogen Aluminate ) doesnt take part in the splitting by electrolysis ?

Reaction score
I need help in this question : Is cryolite a catalyst or impurity ? for sure I know its not a catalyst but Why it ( Sodium Hydrogen Aluminate ) doesnt take part in the splitting by electrolysis ?

Cryolite is added as an impurity to aluminium oxide, since it increases the conductivity and the mobility of the mixture, as well as reducing the required temperature from 2200 degrees Celsius to around 980 degrees Celsius.
The basic principle for all impurities is that they lower the melting point and raise the boiling point, so the reduction of the melting point allows the aluminium to melt at lower temperatures, enabling electrolysis to be carried out at a lower temperature. Thus, it makes the entire process cost and energy efficient.
Therefore, your answer to this question will be: Cryolite is an impurity.