• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

P1 MCQ's preparation thread for chemistry ONLY!!!!

Reaction score
Reaction score
thanks for q14, plz can u also tell the other two.
Not sure about 21 but 31: a polymer is many monomers, so you'll need much more than one mole of a monomer to get 1 polymer. With 1 mole of monomer, you'll get any number of polymers less than 1, e.g. 0.00001 moles.

Reaction score
Could anyone please help me with some questions from May/June 2011? I'm uploading the question paper since the link is broken on the site..
Question no. 6
Question no. 25 - Why can't the answer be C?

Attachments

• 9701_s11_qp_11.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Could anyone please help me with some questions from May/June 2011? I'm uploading the question paper since the link is broken on the site..
Question no. 6

6. The answer is A because you see from the a/t graph that acceleration becomes constant at 1/2T. In B the acceleration becomes 0 at 1/2 T, in C the velocity is zero & in D there's increasing acceleration throughout.
25. The fundamental frequency is when lambda is 1/4. The first overtone will be when lambda is 3/4, and the second overtone when lambda is 5/4.

Reaction score
May june =P

hmm can u please help me out with may\june 2010 v1 Q5&29 =D ?

11. Barium nitrate decomposes to BaO and the unreactive gas is N2.
24. Attacking group is OH- and leaving group is Br-.
28. When heated with hot, conc., acidified KMnO4, the C=C bonds will break and turn into C=O bonds.
31. Radius is the same always because number of outer electrons is the same always.

Reaction score
Question no. 6

Thanks a lot for the reply.. but the paper I uploaded was of chemistry.
Please help me solve those questions in the chemistry paper..

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply.. but the paper I uploaded was of chemistry.
Please help me solve those questions in the chemistry paper..

Argh, I apologise. This isn't the first time this has happened! Anyway:
6. The volume of O2 is more, so there must have been more moles of H2O2. More moles -> higher concentration.
25. If an alcohol is to be dehydrated, the C of the C-OH must be attached to a C attached to an H atom.

Reaction score
Argh, I apologise. This isn't the first time this has happened! Anyway:
6. The volume of O2 is more, so there must have been more moles of H2O2. More moles -> higher concentration.
25. If an alcohol is to be dehydrated, the C of the C-OH must be attached to a C attached to an H atom.
No worries..

For question 25, you mean the Carbon atom attached to the -OH group must be attached to a hydrogen atom?

Reaction score
No worries..

For question 25, you mean the Carbon atom attached to the -OH group must be attached to a hydrogen atom?

No, the Carbon attached to -OH group must be attached to a Carbon which is attached to a Hydrogen.

Reaction score
No, the Carbon attached to -OH group must be attached to a Carbon which is attached to a Hydrogen.
So why can't C be the answer? All the carbon atoms attached to the carbon holding the -OH group have a hydrogen

Reaction score
So why can't C be the answer? All the carbon atoms attached to the carbon holding the -OH group have a hydrogen

I didn't read the question properly. The question asks which alcohol will give the largest number of alkenes when dehydrated. A, B, C & D can all be dehydrated, but some will give more alkenes than others. For example, A & D can give only one alkene, because the C of the COH is attached to only one other C. B can give two structurally different alkenes, because the C of the COH is attached to 2 other Carbon atoms, and both have a Hydrogen atom attached to them. C will give 3 structurally different alkenes, because the C of the COH is attached to 3 Carbons, and all these are attached to Hydrogen atoms. BUT both of the alkenes produced by B will have cis-trans isomers. That'll make the alkenes produced by B 4. It'll give the most number of alkenes upon dehydration.
Tell me if you need more explanation. I'll draw a diagram.

Reaction score
I didn't read the question properly. The question asks which alcohol will give the largest number of alkenes when dehydrated. A, B, C & D can all be dehydrated, but some will give more alkenes than others. For example, A & D can give only one alkene, because the C of the COH is attached to only one other C. B can give two structurally different alkenes, because the C of the COH is attached to 2 other Carbon atoms, and both have a Hydrogen atom attached to them. C will give 3 structurally different alkenes, because the C of the COH is attached to 3 Carbons, and all these are attached to Hydrogen atoms. BUT both of the alkenes produced by B will have cis-trans isomers. That'll make the alkenes produced by B 4. It'll give the most number of alkenes upon dehydration.
Tell me if you need more explanation. I'll draw a diagram.
Oh yeah.. that was so tricky.

Thanks a lot man.. really appreciate it!